Review by henna sonum rajpoot -- Health Tips, Myths, and...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by henna sonum rajpoot -- Health Tips, Myths, and...

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks-A Physician’s Advice by Morton E. Tavel is an authentic and valuable contribution to the medical field and successfully does quite of a myth-busting. This book is all about health taboos and presenting effective solutions to tackle health related issues wisely as the book backs up every bit of information with strong scientific literature. The book is divided into three distinct sections: first section puts forth some of the key health tips, second part of the book clears up some of the famous myths and health fads while the third section gives its readers some useful health tricks. This book is written from a health perspective as a general guide and gratefully doesn’t look like a medical journal with terrible statistical data and graphs.

Author of the book is seen to adopt a very simplistic writing style yet is skillful enough to grab the attention of his readers. Table of contents gave insights into all the chapters and upcoming information with amazing highlights that want you to crave for more to read it all at once by delving deep into comprehensive yet concise pool of evidence based information. Eye-catching puns were also used with an element of satiety and ridicule such as “liberation from snake oil” and “possess “only” 1,040 calories” among others. Conclusions at the end of the each chapter were clear, straightforward and too quick to linger on to more bits of wisdom but literally presented the realistic and effective solutions to many medical health dilemmas in a nutshell.

One of the many bright sides of the book is that it does not contain too much scientific terms or abbreviations and information is not presented in any medical context to confuse or mislead the readers and is equally understood by any layman or generic audience. This book addresses nearly every health issue and touches upon many wonderful aspects regarding food and health such as BMI chart given was immensely helpful compared to digital calculators that I had been using since quite a lot of time. This BMI chart gives you a manual insight into your unbalanced weight as well as tells you to put on required pounds of weight in case you are underweight like me.

A very wide and diverse range of topics are covered in this book and author’s personal take on serious matters of health was something long-awaited. One of the peculiar and novel things about the book is that it discusses even those minor issues that are often left out by the other writers. This book offers no magic cures but directs the attention of its readers to some of the most often neglected health issues. Overall, the book was a pleasurable experience to read as it did not get on the nerves while tackling with sensitive health issues and did not mull over too much unnecessary scientific information.

However, the downside of the book is the a few chapters such as the Lie detector was bombarded with the kind of information most helpful for those working in forensics department rather than the general audience. Some of the sections dealt with information that was not current and updated and needed more authentic content in this regard. Some of the contents in the book were area specific such as brands name and distributor’s names which are of not much use to the people living outside United States or that particular area where these things are available. GMO foods myth busting was quite a surprise to read as being a biology student I have always read about its negative health impacts on humans as well as the environment. But the book successfully had very scanty writing errors and two minor typos that were not even much noticeable and did not seem to impede the quality and flow of the content. I would happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because no doubt it is going to be a healthy addition to my reading menu.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like henna sonum rajpoot's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review, very comprehensive. I like your comment about how easy the book is to read. The author presents many health issues in simple language, along with suggestions to help and remedy health issues. Great job.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 14:15 GMO foods myth busting was quite a surprise to read as being a biology student I have always read about its negative health impacts on humans as well as the environment. But the book successfully had very scanty writing errors and two minor typos that were not even much noticeable and did not seem to impede the quality and flow of the content. I would happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because no doubt it is going to be a healthy addition to my reading menu.
I enjoyed your review. There was some helpful information in the book. I was glad for the expose on TV hucksters. But, I was also surprised by the GMO bit. There is so much evidence that refutes his claims. And the wholesale condemnation of alternative methods and products was, I thought, out of touch with current medical thought. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I'd love to read more about these health tips. The fact that the author is a doctor is very reassuring. Great review!
henna sonum rajpoot

Oulababe wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 16:10 I'd love to read more about these health tips. The fact that the author is a doctor is very reassuring. Great review!
Thank you very much for the appreciation! 😊 and yes, you'd enjoy this simply written valuable book! Good luck!
henna sonum rajpoot

Eva Darrington wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 20:44
henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 14:15 GMO foods myth busting was quite a surprise to read as being a biology student I have always read about its negative health impacts on humans as well as the environment. But the book successfully had very scanty writing errors and two minor typos that were not even much noticeable and did not seem to impede the quality and flow of the content. I would happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because no doubt it is going to be a healthy addition to my reading menu.
I enjoyed your review. There was some helpful information in the book. I was glad for the expose on TV hucksters. But, I was also surprised by the GMO bit. There is so much evidence that refutes his claims. And the wholesale condemnation of alternative methods and products was, I thought, out of touch with current medical thought. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Thank you so much for your nice words, Eva😊. How has your experience been of reading this book? Did you give it a read?
henna sonum rajpoot

kdstrack wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 22:40 Nice review, very comprehensive. I like your comment about how easy the book is to read. The author presents many health issues in simple language, along with suggestions to help and remedy health issues. Great job.
Thank you so much for liking and commenting on my review, sdstrack! I hope you enjoyed the book as well😊
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 12:56
Thank you so much for your nice words, Eva😊. How has your experience been of reading this book? Did you give it a read?
Yes, I did read the book. It was actually the first book I reviewed on OBC. So, beware if you read my review; it is a little long-winded. :D I enjoyed parts of the book but felt the author's agenda overshadowed the facts.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's notable that you found this book simply written yet informative and helpful. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
henna sonum rajpoot

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 13:53
henna sonum rajpoot wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 12:56
Yes, I did read the book. It was actually the first book I reviewed on OBC. So, beware if you read my review; it is a little long-winded. :D I enjoyed parts of the book but felt the author's agenda overshadowed the facts.
Everyone has his/her own opinion of any book that he/she comes to read and i think we should appreciate the fact that we all think from different angles, yielding bias-free and holistic opinions ,eventually which is quite productive and liberating :)
henna sonum rajpoot

Espie wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 15:49 It's notable that you found this book simply written yet informative and helpful. Thank you for your thorough review.
Hi Espie,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad you liked my review :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”