Review by ButterscotchCherrie -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review by ButterscotchCherrie -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young woman whose future was ruined. A callous banker getting rich off ruined businessmen. Arrogant as he is, is he wise to have an affair with someone else’s wife? His mistress’ husband is a former loyalist paramilitary who has supposedly gone straight. Has he really left the past behind?

These are just some of the individuals Detective Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan has to consider in solving the case of the 11.05 murders in this detective novel by Brian O’Hare. Sheehan’s latest recruit, Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart, has been promoted after exposing her supervisor’s corruption. At the start of the book, she has to testify at his trial. She finds her new Belfast colleagues more congenial than those in Lisburn, but will her past continue to haunt her? Why does she feel as if she’s being followed?

When the first serious crime Denise encounters is a grisly murder, she and the rest of the team under Sheehan try to discover who has a motive. They also have work out why the corpse was mutilated and why the watch was stopped at 11.05 p.m. Trails lead in different directions, including into the past. As the investigation becomes a race against time, will the team put the pieces together before the killer strikes again?

With regard to what I liked best, the characters in this book were engaging and believable. Denise was a strong female character with admirable technology skills. The Northern Irish setting was evocatively described and the book seemed thoroughly researched. The story was carefully crafted and structured, and became increasingly compelling as the plot took some sharp twists.

It was satisfying that some corrupt and cowardly characters were brought to justice, and I appreciated the condemnation of sexism and violence against women. Some subtle stereotyping crept in, such as a reference to a “lady doctor.” Another consideration is that not long before he solves the case, Sheehan receives key information from a certain character. This is such a sudden game-changer that the character feels like a deus ex machina. A more gradual introduction of this person and his perspective would have felt more balanced.

The quality of the editing was outstanding. I’m impressed that I did not find a single error. Abbreviations were used frequently but a glossary was included. On the basis of its many strengths, this book thoroughly deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to all lovers of murder mysteries. In the best traditions of Conan Doyle, Christie or Rendell, clues and red herrings are sprinkled throughout the narrative. This would appeal to readers who like to ponder the significance of clues and try to solve the mystery along with the detective. The book would not appeal to those who do not like the crime genre, and it does contain some violent scenes with gory details, including sexual violence. Sensitive readers should exercise caution.

Jim Sheehan should be proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with Holmes, Poirot, Marple, and Wexford. I look forward to reading more by this author.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ButterscotchCherrie's review? Post a comment saying so!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

This sounds like just the type of book I like to read. I like to solve the mystery along with the protagonist. I'm just not sure I'd like the violent scenes especially sexual violence. Thank you for your review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Joy2thenations wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 02:13 This sounds like just the type of book I like to read. I like to solve the mystery along with the protagonist. I'm just not sure I'd like the violent scenes especially sexual violence. Thank you for your review.
The book is excellently crafted - but yes, there is some gory detail at times. Thanks for your reply!
Mod
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great job on your review. You give a great synopsis of the story and a description of the main characters. There seems to be a lot of sexual violence in this book. I like your comparisons of Sheehan to other famous detectives. Nice job.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kdstrack wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 22:16 Great job on your review. You give a great synopsis of the story and a description of the main characters. There seems to be a lot of sexual violence in this book. I like your comparisons of Sheehan to other famous detectives. Nice job.
Many thanks for your comment! It isn't wall-to-wall sexual violence, but that is a big theme in that it has everything to do with the murders. Yes, Sheehan is fairly Sherlock Holmes-like, minus the opium and the violin though.
Mod
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a well-crafted detective story! I love the reference to Poirot. It would be interesting to explore the Northern Irish setting through the reading of this book. Sharp plot twists will make it more challenging to evaluate the clues and solve the mystery. Great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I believe you! This is a book that I wish to remember for a very long time. This is the first detective book that I ever read, and it was the gateway to a new interest evoked in me. Thank you for your candid review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

stacie k wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 19:17 This sounds like a well-crafted detective story! I love the reference to Poirot. It would be interesting to explore the Northern Irish setting through the reading of this book. Sharp plot twists will make it more challenging to evaluate the clues and solve the mystery. Great review!
The book includes a strong sense of place and the political background is relevant to the characters. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 06:44 I believe you! This is a book that I wish to remember for a very long time. This is the first detective book that I ever read, and it was the gateway to a new interest evoked in me. Thank you for your candid review!
It was a great example of a book where detectives follow the clues, taking some wrong turnings along the way. If you enjoyed this one, I can recommend Agatha Christie or Ruth Rendell. Thanks for commenting!
Mod
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds like a good story with the elements of a classic mystery. No editing mistakes is impressive. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I like murder mysteries where the reader is attempting to solve the crime along with the characters of the book. It is a craft that the author has, to give hints and red herrings, to make it not so obvious of who did the crime.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've written a thoughtful and thorough case to justify your verdict. Thank you for your review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

What a riveting review! Having read the book, I must admit you capture the salient features well. I totally missed the 'lady doctor' stereotyping. You are quite keen on detail! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Cotwani wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 10:51 What a riveting review! Having read the book, I must admit you capture the salient features well. I totally missed the 'lady doctor' stereotyping. You are quite keen on detail! Great review!
I've seen a range of reviews of this - sometimes other readers pick up on things I missed like the somewhat wooden prose. That can be forgiveable in a good mystery. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! Seeing as I like books like this I think I would like it! Appreciated the comment:" Jim Sheehan should be proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with Holmes, Poirot, Marple, and Wexford". Must have been a great book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”