Review by KasieMiehlke -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a nonfiction work that can best be described as a motivational memoir. White describes his start in a stereotypical small town where everybody follows tradition without question. Each child knows his destiny before he or she graduates high school. He goes on to describe his life and its lessons as he questions his fate and veers away from what is chosen for him. As his career grows and he becomes successful, Mr. White is faced with an ever-growing emptiness. He seeks out some of the most prolific life coaches. As he tries to find what he is missing, he comes to the realization that some of the best teachers are just average people that you encounter everyday.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Each chapter depicts an important lesson that the author learned that dispels the myth that he believes on the beginning page. The teachers that Robert encounters range from college janitors to school children. He talks of his experiences in humorous ways, such as referring to a petty candy crime as if it was the biggest robbery in the world. The individual in that story that helped him out made a lasting impression in him that ultimately changed his behavior. The humor in the story kept the readers attention while continuing to keep on track.

I did not notice any mistakes throughout this book. It seems professionally edited and is arranged expertly. The stories flow very well from one to the next. White does a great job at keeping the stories brisk while making sure the idea of the meetings pronounced. He includes enough detail while not making sure no unnecessary information is included. The chapters are not choppy like I thought the would be which was fantastic.

While each chapter highlights a different lesson that White was taught, I believe that the book itself has a lesson as well. His success was created along with un-fulfillment. The book showed me that everything comes at a price and in order to be truly happy, you must do what is right for you and not what others think is right for you.

There was not anything that I did not like about this book. The author does a great job at keeping the story flowing while making sure all the important information is included. The humor that he uses throughout the stories keeps the reader’s attention while making sure that the morals of each chapter is impressed. I give And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White 4 out of 4 stars. It is a great motivational memoir that is sure to inspire anyone that feels like there is something missing in their lives. I highly recommend this book to everyone who feels like they are stuck in a rut.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your thoughts on this book. You have some insightful comments on the format of the book, including the use of humor. Nicely done!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

KasieMiehlke wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 17:04 The stories flow very well from one to the next. White does a great job at keeping the stories brisk while making sure the idea of the meetings pronounced. He includes enough detail while not making sure no unnecessary information is included. The chapters are not choppy like I thought the would be which was fantastic.
I enjoyed your review. Well done. I also liked the author's storytelling ability and his sense of humor. There were some aspects I didn't like quite as much as you, but I can understand why many like this book. Please check out my review. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

What a well-written review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really enjoyed reading them. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”