Review by akeseh -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Review by akeseh -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by akeseh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Living with one's parents and being taken good care of is an aspiration of every child but this becomes a tragedy when one or both parents are not available to provide children with the love they need and the various responsibilities associated with the upbringing of children. The case of Darwin Hastings is not different from the worse. In his book, Guardian of Deceit, William H. Coles narrated the story of this boy who lost both parents at a tender age and the struggles he passed through before reaching his goals.

Darwin could not access his parents inheritance and trust fund due to his tender age but this was transferred to Luther Pinneli, his cuisine until he was of age. Luther is a famous and wealthy footballer. To his disappointment, Luther performed below expectation. As an aspiring medical doctor, Darwin had to endure hardship because Luther refused to enrol him in a private school and pay his allowances due him but asked him to work and earned his allowances. Darwin saw Luther as a dictator who verbally abuses him as being a deaf for fighting for his rights.

Although an orphan, Darwin was very brilliant and industrious. He exhibited a high degree of self-control and was able to keep secret. These unique qualities made him excel in various disciplines such as being able to learn driving in a short period, emerging the winner in various competitions and most importantly coming into contact with some good personalities who helped him realize his dreams. Some of these personalities are Mrs Thomas who organized private tutors to teach him in the house to prepare him to write the medical school's entrance exams and Dr Malverne who advised him on his career and made Darwin work in his office to gain experience in orthopaedics. Darwin found himself doing something different. He becomes an app developer and operated a philanthropic foundation alongside managing his own medical laboratory.

This book has a blend of violence, romance, adventure and occasional sex scenes. There is also the use of some strong language thus, I wouldn't recommend to persons below the age of twenty-one. The book is divided into various chapters and each chapter brings a new personality into the scene. The author seems to lose focus as the subject matter is not dealt with directly. Although the book is supposed to be centred on a specific subject matter, the author talked about lots issues that are irrelevant. Some of the chapters contain stories on their own that can be written into a book. I also read a sex scandal which went unpunished. There are series of vices such as gambling and abuse of women and children.

I strongly advise the author not to use such vices in his books especially when they go unpunished. We live in a society where there are lots of shallow minded people who may take these vices as the normal way of life. Authors inspire our societies through their writings and anything that tends to poison the society must never be entertained. The main character in the story is of a tender age is and I was disappointed when I discovered that I cannot recommend the book to people of that age.

There are very few spelling and grammatical errors. There is an excellent use of literal devices and the vocabulary is easy to understand. I recommend the author writes on the subject matter instead of talking about irrelevant issues which have no bearing on the title of the book. Also, I realized the characters in the story are too many and this makes it difficult to understand the content. William H. Coles has done a good job. I will, therefore, rate his book Guardian of Deceit 3 out of 4 stars.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like akeseh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I enjoyed your descriptions of how Luther took care of Darwin and also of Darwin's character. Thanks.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I love the review except the spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”