Review by ktrae910 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Review by ktrae910 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by ktrae910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?, by William E. Combs, is a Christian non-fiction book that can be read straight through, in sections, or as a devotional.  I read it in sections and used the extensive cross-references and endnotes to dig deeper. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a better understanding of the effects of the knowledge of good and evil on mankind.

This book is a recounting of the Fall of Man, as told in Genesis, and its implications for the world.  Combs puts his own twist on certain aspects of the story, embellishing parts, but did not change the story as it is told in the Bible.  Combs introduces new characters to the story to make Adam and Eve seem more real so we are better able to relate.

This book examines many concepts with which most Christians are familiar.  Sin, death, rebellion, nakedness, fear, shame, life, salvation, and trust are some major themes of the Bible.  These are some themes examined in Who Told You That You Were Naked? in a manner that I have never seen before. 

An example is my accepted belief that Eve rebelled against God when she took the fruit of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.  Rebellion suggests that she knew it was wrong and she wanted to do it anyway.  If she didn’t have this knowledge already, how could she rebel?  This is just one example of many that this book has caused me to reconsider.

The result of having the Knowledge of Good and Evil is very complex.  I’m sure I don’t have a complete understanding even after reading this book.  It has given me a lot to think about while I continue to study the Bible.  

Combs does a very thorough job of citing cross-references in the Bible and other works which influenced this book.  It would have been easy for him to miss some of these because this work is a result of a long career as a minister and a doctor of divinity. I am sure much of the subject matter is information he knows well already and could have easily miss citing.

This book is well thought out and professionally edited.  I did not notice any spelling or grammar errors or any formatting errors. It is easy to read and it flows naturally.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its extensive citations and for Combs’ ability to make Adam and Eve more relatable. 

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ktrae910's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You express some very interesting thoughts. The idea of rebellion is intriguing. Someone once explained to me that when Adam and Eve were created they had a perfect love of good but not a perfect hatred of evil. That is why Eve did not feel repulsed by the devil from the very beginning of their conversation. I really enjoyed your review. Thanks!
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html

Post by ktrae910 »

That would make sense. Adam and Eve would have had no knowledge of evil at all before eating the fruit of the tree. Thank you.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if this book provides an interesting and fresh perspective on a story which I believe is often misinterpreted, or at least interpreted in an oversimplified way. As you say, when you get into it, it is not so easy to tell right from wrong or good from evil. It is interesting to know what guidance the Bible can provide. It's good to know that this book is so scholarly with full references. Thanks for a review that gave a clear impression of the book.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a good book on man's initial journey from heaven to earth. Your review is great. I have also reviewed this book. Feel free to check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I love that you make a recommendation of the book in your first paragraph. This helps potential readers figure out if the book would be of interest to them. I also enjoyed how you mentioned the individual concepts the book tackles and the various ways the book can read.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

If this book is as perfectly-written and uplifting as you found it to be, then it should go to my Want to Read list. I've done it already, in fact. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I have read this book. It's really thought-provoking, I think the author wrote it based on his personal encounter at 5 yrs. To gain more from it, the reader have to reference Bible as a supporting documents for personal encounter. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”