Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Re: Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by desantismt_17 »

Sounds like an interesting look at how things opperate behind the scenes, as it were. The crime element is interesting, but this doesn't sound like a book for me. Thanks for your review.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The protagonist of this novel is Hiram McDowell a surgeon, by profession and a passionate climber. He is very ambitious and can go to any extent to achieve his ambition. The author developed this character in an excellent way. The plot of this novel is beautiful, engaging and worth reading.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Well-developed characters make all the difference when it comes to connecting with a book. Thanks for your interesting review.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

A thoughtful and well put together review, well-done! This looks like an interesting book that deals with human nature, corrupt practices, professionalism and balanced judgments in addition to some other themes and sub-themes. It hints of proper and diligent research into the corporate world, politics and not-for-profits. I believe it will be an enjoyable read. Congrats to William H. Coles on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I love books that make me struggle to close it - that's a sign of a great book. I've always been curious about how philanthropic foundations work - so it's interesting to see that the book looks at the corrupt practices in some. I'm also interested to see how Hiriam values and perspectives change after meeting the certain woman. It sounds like a wonder character arc :)
Akspezia
Currently Reading: The Islands of the Fox
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Akspezia »

A book worth reading with strong characters. The play centres are a protagonist McDowel, he cheats and plays games with women. He has everything everything everyone could want but always hungry for power.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

A great book revolving around the rise and fall of self-centered ambitious surgeon with well developed characters. It sounds intriguing and I will add it to my to read list. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html

Post by Kister Bless »

A great book revolving around the rise and fall of self-centered ambitious surgeon with well developed characters. It sounds intriguing and I will add it to my to read list. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Nwanne97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nwanne97 »

McDowell: A Novel by William H. Coles is about Dr. Hiram McDowell, an “alpha male” if there ever was one. He heads a Department of Surgery, plays rock guitar, climbs mountains in the Himalayas, runs marathons, has established a hospital in Nepal, and has been elected president of the International College of Surgeons. At home, however, it’s a different story. He acts callously toward his wife, doesn’t care if she knows he has another woman in Nepal, and is only involved superficially with his children’s lives. Now, another surgeon, whom McDowell passed up for executive director of the College of Surgeons, and an aging TV reporter, who’s anxious to prove she’s still relevant, are both on McDowell’s trail, independently of each other. They’ve discovered irregularities in his laboratory and financial improprieties in his charity in Nepal, as well as false statements in his autobiography. And that’s only the first step in his problems—problems that eventually will make him a fugitive on the run.
McDowell by William H. Coles is an extremely exciting, well-written novel. McDowell has no easy answers; he doesn’t undergo a miraculous transformation into a “good person.” In every way, however, I would recommend McDowell. An excellent book.
dozibi2
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by dozibi2 »

Wow! This review is concise but full of the book itself. Wonderful! Pride and deception comes before the fall. It'll be an interesting one. Congratulations on BOTD
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

McDowell is an interesting story from all aspects. It covers social taboos, frauds in the medical profession and the protagonist void of moral values. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
OkohDinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okohdinma.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OkohDinma »

The main character of the book is seen as an arrogant and selfish man. His cold and calculating ways affects his relationship with his family and colleagues at work. His downfall was very humbling. I don't think he would have changed his ways for the better had he not experienced such setbacks. Meeting Maud and her family was probably the best thing that happened to him as it made him realize the benefits of family and good relationships with people.
The author was able to expose the truth about medical politics and problems in some families to its fullest.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The more power the person has the more self-important and self-centred he becomes and being a surgeon Hiram believed he was mighty and powerful. A person is capable of doing a lot of things to get what he wants, the question is whether he does it correctly and whether he makes the right decisions and how he accepts the consequences. Hiram definitely made the wrong decisions and was imprisoned as a result. It will be interesting to read how he accepted the consequences.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Too bad Hiram got the top with lies, but at least he had consequences for his actions. Even going to prison, Hiram escapes and then writes a memoir? Sounds interesting! It's great to hear that the characters were well-developed and that the suspenseful plot ran smoothly. I don't know how I feel about the combination of politics in healthcare and journalism, but good on the author to tackle an interesting combination of topics. I'm glad you found this to be well-edited and that you enjoyed it very much! Thanks for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

We're reminded that even if corrupted people are the likeliest to reach high positions quickly, they'll never be able to stay there forever and how their own actions lead to their downfall. The author discusses some other issues as well. I'm sure I'll love this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”