Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Review by Rosemary Wright -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OloladeO »

The protagonist, Hiram McDowell, bit the hand that fed him and got the repercussion. I like the themes in the novel. Congratulations to the author for winning BOTD.
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

self important , self centered is recipe for down fall Hiram is so full of himself thinking he's above the laws of the universe. grand to know karma was there to bring him in again.
Maria Angelica 15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria Angelica 15 »

The review was complete. The characters are mentioned the settings are also mentioned. The review also had the plot of a story or novel which you would really understand the story without fully reading the whole story. It just not a review but a summary.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the insightful review. I have read quite a few reviews on this book, but this one is one of the very best among them. I don't really like Hiram's character, but quite surprisingly, that is what made me want to read this book!
Pammy57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pammy57.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Pammy57 »

Another intriguing book by William H Coles. Always worth reading as the story keeps you guessing to the last page.
Cheryswthrt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cheryswthrt »

From the brief yet thrilling piece of McDowell, written by William H. Coles portrays the lead character Hiram as an egocentric man who has little disregard for his family or colleagues. Personal gain and self-interest manifests in multiple ways including infidelity and lack of empathy when leaving another person to die to save himself.
The writing is captivating, but the main character being a antagonist is little unusual. I would say that if given the opportunity to finish the book, I would be intrigued to see where the author was going with the story.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

You had me at the notion of someone actually being imprisoned after rigging elections - and then to escape from prison? Wow, this sounds like a fascinating book. Thanks for your great review :)
Ernest2117
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest2117.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ernest2117 »

I love your review, especially your use of words, which help me understand what the book is all about, how it affect you who've read it and the impact it will have on anyone who is interested in reading the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”