Review by Alashhar -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alashhar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alashhar.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Alashhar -- My Trip to Adele

Post by Alashhar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele is a multiple first person narrators’ novel. It can be either a multiple viewpoint novel. It was written originally in Arabic by two siblings Rana and Ahmed Alyaseer. They translated their novel to English in attempt to publish it internationally after it was turned down by local publishers.

The novel has three narrators for three different narratives in three different countries. The first narrative took place in Morocco, where a love story was born between Elias and Malika. The couple was separated for eight years, and met desperately at Adele concert in Italy. The second drama happened in Las Vegas, where a married couple Yaser and Mariam faced serious problems in their marriage which was almost led to divorce. The last story occurred in Jordan, it focused on the life of a divorced woman Nadia and her struggle with the traditions of her society. The three narratives vary in location and content, but all meet in their narrators’ passion of the British singer Adele. The three narrators have decided to attend the Adele concert in Verona, but the only one who made it was Elias. An unexpected ending, Elias left his Malika without any explanation.

Honestly, I loved the novel and enjoyed it a lot. I got along with the characters, in specific with both Yaser and Nadia. This enjoyment is probably due to my Arab origin and due to the Interpersonal closeness between me and them. Additionally, the novel is centered around the traditions and the beliefs that most of Middle Eastern societies still hold on. It indicates to the attitudes of these societies towards the atheism and adultery. It shows the injustice of divorce on women and the selfishness of the eastern men. It demonstrates the scary faith in myths and sorcery. Briefly, the novel raised very important social issues in a smooth frankly way.

However, I have some reservations about the language of the novel. The used English was simple and smooth, but it is obvious that the authors are not native English speakers. The novel appears clearly as a translation from a different language. There were a number of Arabic idioms that was literally translated to English in a naive way. For example, the expression "I am not going to lie..." in the page no.158 is an idiom for the sentence “I’ll say it directly...” The authors also narrate many unnecessary details such as the description in the scene of the airport where Mariam went to the duty-free shop and Yasser bought a coffee. In addition, there are a number of spelling and grammatical errors, which should be reviewed and corrected.

Eventually, I rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars, despite my reservations about the language. The novel was interesting and it discusses considerable social topics in the Middle Eastern communities. Nevertheless, the authors should pay more attention to the principles of the translation from Arabic to English which will attract more English speaker readers to their novels in the future.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alashhar's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The insights the author gives into life in different cultures and countries is very well done. I agree with you comments about the translation not always being smooth. Glad you enjoyed the book. Nice job.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The author has beautifully depicted the diversity of cultures along with social issues pertaining to these societies. Thanks for your great review. I have also reviewed this book. Kindly check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”