Review by gabriel23brinson -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabriel23brinson
Currently Reading: The Wave
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriel23brinson.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by gabriel23brinson -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by gabriel23brinson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is truly an inspirational work of non-fiction written by Rob White. Rob White the philosopher, storyteller, author, and inspirational speaker takes the audience on a journey. A journey through his life that many lessons he learned came from correcting his inner-psychological myths. Displeased with the course of the direction his life was taking, he decided to spring into action and do something about it.

Inside the book, Rob portrays a level-headed fellow who is determined and ambitious. At a young age, he determines what he wanted to do with his life, or at least what he didn’t want to do with it. He was also a well-disciplined and compassionate young fellow. Throughout his childhood, he mentions several details on what it’s like growing up in New England in a small town with family and friends. He tells a variety of life stories of his childhood that shows its relevance in the future. A biblical quote that comes to mind when I read this era of his life was “When I was a child I spoke as a child, understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

As you can see presently, Rob is quite a success story. Towards the middle of the narrative, once life picks up after college, the author sets out to accomplish many goals. Some of the goals he set were quite exhilarating! The way I dissected the book was by noticing his perception of the world before he experienced a life-changing event than he did afterward. Throughout his life, he breaks each lesson into two categories: the myth he believed and the reality he discovered.

Rob mentions a list of people who were an inspiration to him throughout the book. The people who inspired him gradually became an inspiration to me as well. He lists people like Brian Tracy, Stephen Covey, John Grinder, and one of my favorites today Og Mandino. One of Og Mandino’s famous quotes was “If there's any magic genie in a bottle, it’s the magic that’s bottled up inside each of us.”; which Rob uses as a reference in the book.

This book made an enormous impact on me. I laughed uncontrollably at some of the stories. I even shed a tear from some of the others. The author and I have been through similar problems in our life, but Rob capitalized during those tough times, I didn’t. He went through things as a former college student that I’m battling as a university student today. This book has given me everything I needed and more to have the power to persevere and accomplish my goals and to focus on where I want to go in life, not where I don’t want to go.

Above all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was well written, funny, emotional and inspirational. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking to complete their goals without fear or judgment. I especially recommend it to all students ambitious, young or elder.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gabriel23brinson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Generally, I love inspirational narratives. Rob White's And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Personal Transformation is definitely my kind of book. I enjoyed the review, gabriel23brinson!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I am happy the book made an impact in your life. I reviewed this book as well and indeed it made a great impact in my life. Thanks for the great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Good review! You mentioned that this book not only inspired you, but also made you laugh and cry. I hope you will accomplish your goals! Thanks for your thoughts on this book.
Nancy Wachirs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nancy Wachirs »

A good review indeed. The kind of book i'll want to read now.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”