Review by Jemimah Goiri -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jemimah Goiri
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemimah-goiri.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Review by Jemimah Goiri -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Jemimah Goiri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Ladybird Story is a very fascinating book of a young boy who is fighting with both himself and the world for his true identity. John is born in a family of four, including his elder brother Devon and his parents. Realizing that he is effeminate, his parents coerce him into growing up more manly than he proved to be. Life is not any better for him in school as he is constantly bullied. Suddenly, things start to change for John after meeting Aureus who gradually becomes his only friend and his best friend. With the help of his brother, John realizes he is different from his fellow teenage boys in terms of sexual interests and fantasies. After Aureus strongly persuades John to take part in Halloween, he realizes it is the best thing that has ever happened to him in a long time. He then secretly starts to dress and act like a lady which apparently gives him so much satisfaction. Aureus eventually gets to know about it via an awkward scenario and is shocked and disappointed to have not known about it earlier. Through medical assistance, both John and Aureus are informed that he has gender dysphoria. John follows the appropriate steps and is finally able to be the woman he feels he was initially supposed to be born as, going by the name Joyce. After twelve years of being by each other,both Joyce and Aureus realize they are in love with each other.

This book was a reflection of the difficulties very many of us go through and also offers real and great solutions some of the difficulties include being bullied and sex identification. The author has the right choice of words describing the various emotions depicted in the book.

There are however several grammar errors which include:
1) She had been beginning to think John was severely lacking in social skills
She had begun to think John was severely lacking in social skills
2) He'd always averted her questions
He always averted her questions
3) There, he'd said it
There, he said it
4) She was worried about her father's being alone
She was worried about her father being alone
5) Leaving Sandton was the best thing that ever for you
Leaving Sandton was the best thing ever for you
6) but she hadn't wanted to talk about it
but she didn't want to talk about it
7) Be able to be himself
Be himself

All in all, the book is interesting and I would recommend it for everyone to read it.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars as it needs thorough grammar check.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Jemimah Goiri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”