Review by Thaddeusxx -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thaddeusxx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaddeusxx.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Review by Thaddeusxx -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by Thaddeusxx »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seetheswritten by Janet McNultry is a unique science fiction novel, first in its series. Lanyr, the home planet of our hero Rynah, has been destroyed. This tale follows Rynah and her spunky A.I. ship Solaris as she travels through the universe seeking crystals of immense power.
However, what is a tale of a hero without an evil villain in pursue of the same goal, but with a different objective. Rynah must travel the vast reaches of space, infested with tyrants and dangerous worlds in order to find these crystals and keep them out of the hands of her nemesis. 
This treacherous journey however cannot be done alone. Rynah and Solaris must find help in a sector of space forgotten in time. Solaris chooses four unique individuals for Rynah to help in the quest. Each individual has something special to offer to the team, even though some may seem useless in Rynah's eyes. Will this rag-tag team of individuals be able to thwart the evil and dangers that lie ahead? Or will they succumb to the same fate as the home world of our hero? 

As an avid sci/fi book reader, I have enjoyed most novels that make me open my mind to creativity. That being said, I find this novel to exceed my expectations in creativity. I would have to say that one of the best parts of this book is the imagination the author had of the characters. It will be hard to find a team of heroes as unique as the one portrayed in this novel. 
Another aspect of the novel that I really enjoyed was the action and fast pace. This is one of those novels that as soon as you open the book, you are immediately immersed into the thick of battle, and experience quite a shocking little twist. This kind of pace and action continues throughout the novel, for those of you who can't get enough action. 

As with any story, there are a few flaws. One of which was the lack of hero growth. Now I understand that this is just the first part of a series, but I think the hero of the story should have had some sort of growth within. I felt that throughout the story, Rynah really had not much to do with the adventure. From the very beginning, all the way to the end she stayed somewhat the same in attitude and knowledge, and in my opinion, was somewhat of a bully. 

Another thing that I felt the story needed was a little more substance. What I mean by this, is that even though this book had you on the edge of your seat, the quests that the characters were on seemed a little empty. The characters would arrive at their destination, encounter a foe, defeat the foe, got what they came for, then left. This was repeated in the same order several times throughout the novel. 

Overall, I would give this story a 3 out of 4 stars. Even though Solaris Seethes seemed a little bland at times, it was an awesome read. I will certainly recommend this novel for teens, and adults who are looking for an adrenaline rush while reading about space adventures. Personally, this book captured my interest right away and held it there to the last page.   

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Thaddeusxx's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”