Review by Emie Cuevas -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Emie Cuevas -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you had the ability to travel anywhere in the world, access classified information and alter all manner of computer records? This is what Alex Fine can do; to find out how he handles this ability you’d need to read Superhighway by Alex Fayman. This is a sci-fi novel, as such, I think any sci-fi fan would enjoy reading this. I also think people who like a good thriller would enjoy this too. There are a few scenes of violence and some sexual scenes, but they are not overly graphic in scope.

Alex Fine grew up in an orphanage without a penny to his name. He lived there until he was 18, except for a few occasions where he managed to get foster parents to take him. The adoptions always fell through, so Alex was returned to the orphanage. As he was getting close to the time that he would be leaving the orphanage to go to college, the orphanage received a donation of a computer lab.

Being the oldest, Alex was allowed to stay up late the day the computers arrived, so he was left alone in the computer lab when the monitor stopped working. Not knowing why Alex started fiddling with the wires in the back of the computer. When he pulled out the network cable, he was sucked inside the wire and his adventures began.

After some trial and error, Alex worked out he could download information, bypassing all passwords and security features, from any website in the world. Being basically honest he didn’t want to hurt any normal citizen, so he became a modern day Robin Hood. He becomes very wealthy, and even though he spends some on himself, most of what he took he gives away to those people most in need.

Unfortunately, taking from bad guys, which seemed like a good thing to do, does have consequences. They don’t like losing their money, and the hunt for Alex begins.

If the book was written chronologically, the first chapter would appear right at the end. However, by starting with this chapter the author creates intrigue, which compels you to keep reading to find out how he got to that position. Without this, the opening sequence would be a tale about a young boy growing up in an orphanage, and I for one would not have got to the interesting part.

Once Alex discovers his powers the story gets much more interesting. In traveling to other places with Alex you get to discover more about the world. The description of how these places look and feel is very realistic. I almost feel as if I’ve been there. There are many characters in the story. The way they act and communicate is just about what you’d expect them to do. Though I don’t see as many young women swooning over Alex everywhere he went, that he seemed to get.

There are a few easygoing sex scenes, some violence and copious use of drugs and alcohol throughout the story. The ending is also very abrupt, making it impossible to read this as a standalone novel; you have to get the next book in the series. So if any of these things are likely to offend, then you should stay well clear. I do think that any sci-fi fan should definitely add this book to their reading list.

This story really resonated with me, I loved it. Even though I had seen some of the elements of the story elsewhere, most of it was new material. I especially loved the way that the author described being inside the World Wide Web network. Totally enthralling and made me wish I could see it for myself.

During the reading of this book, I found very few errors, though more in the latter half of the book, as though the proof-reader got more interested in the story than in looking for errors. Despite this, I have no qualms about giving this story a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. Though Amazon does claim this to be a trilogy of two books, I can only assume that the third book hasn’t been published yet. Hopefully, it will be available by the time I’ve finished the second book. I do hate having to wait for the next one.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also liked this book and rated it the full 4 stars. I am a sentimentalist, so I enjoyed Alex's rags-to-riches story. I plan to follow him through the rest of the series.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Emie, it seems you really enjoyed reading Alex's adventures through the network. I've read good reviews about this book, including yours. I'll have to check it out. Be patient, book 3 is supposed to be released soon. Thanks for the nice review!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

I just finished reading this and I, too, gave it 4 stars. You pointed out a lot of things that I left out in my own review; you did a really great job! Thank you.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Well, you have done a great review. The description of the book gives one an image of how the events would appear.
I agree that the book is interesting, I read it in one day. If I was reviewing this one, I probably would not even notice the errors you ve mentioned.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I find the storyline of Alex Fayman's Superhighway interesting. I plan to this the book but the graphic nature of some scenes referred to in this review are impediments.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I loved the fact that you noticed the realistic descriptions of some of the places where Alex travels to. I particularly liked the way he described Amsterdam. Thank yu for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

Superhighway sounds intriguing! The ability to travel through the internet, bypassing security and passwords, and changing or using information is a unique plot! Your review makes me want to read the book, despite the copious drug use you mentioned -- unfortunate, but understandable due to the criminals our modern-day Robin Hood steals from.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Thanks for an expansive view of such a modern issue of exploration, through the 'Review by Emie Cuevas -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman'! It enables us to reflect upon the reliability of Internet in present age and rest our thoughts of future, on the conclusions derived!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”