Review by jamiramontez -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamiramontez
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamiramontez.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by jamiramontez -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by jamiramontez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks, Dr. Morton E. Tavel, a now retired physician who specialized in cardiology and internal medicine, clears up the air about what is factual and what is not surrounding some of the most misunderstood and controversial topics in health. He uses his medical background and quotes clinical research to back up the information he provides.

The book is divided into three sections: Tips, Myths, and Tricks. In the Tips section, there are 32 chapters in which Dr. Tavel gives medical advice about topics that include losing weight, getting enough vitamins, second hand smoke, and more.
In the Myths section of the book, there are 20 chapters where Dr. Tavel tackles some of the most misunderstood and controversial topics in medicine including whether or not using cranberries helps to relieve urinary tract infections and the ever so popular controversy behind immunizations and whether or not they cause autism or other conditions.
In the Tricks section, there are 10 chapters in which Dr. Tavel explains how the media and advertisements trick people into buying products that are not medically safe or beneficial.

I personally enjoyed reading this book because Dr. Tavel turns complex medical information into a much simpler form that is easy to understand. He inserts his own personal, sometimes funny, thoughts into the conclusion of each chapter, making the book enjoyable to read. Aside from this, the book is conveniently written in such a way that the reader can go directly to their topics of interest without having to read through each chapter.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars because although it is filled with some helpful information, it is a book full of typos and outdated research. The most glaring typos are at the beginning of every chapter number, which all contain the letter "o" and the pi sign. The text also contains several errors in punctuation, in which several periods are omitted, as well as many smaller errors including added spaces in random places and acronyms that are not defined. It is clear that this book was not professionally edited. In addition, many of the quotes that Dr. Tavel uses from clinical research trials are over 10 years old, which questions the validity of some of the points he makes.

It is clear that Dr. Tavel is not trying to sell any new ideas or new products like most health books do. He is merely educating the public about which fads and myths are right and which are wrong, based on his medical experience and research.

This is the type of book that would appeal most to those in the medical profession, those who are health conscious, and to those who are simply curious about learning the truth about common misconceptions related to health.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jamiramontez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Glad you found so much information in the book. The typos and formatting problems are a real drawback though. Really makes reading unpleasant. Thanks for your review.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

It's good to know he's not selling any kind of new product, but if it's as grammatically bad as you say, I think it's not the book for me. Thanks for reviewing it :)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

jamiramontez wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 00:28 I give this book 2 out of 4 stars because although it is filled with some helpful information, it is a book full of typos and outdated research. The most glaring typos are at the beginning of every chapter number, which all contain the letter "o" and the pi sign. The text also contains several errors in punctuation, in which several periods are omitted, as well as many smaller errors including added spaces in random places and acronyms that are not defined. It is clear that this book was not professionally edited. In addition, many of the quotes that Dr. Tavel uses from clinical research trials are over 10 years old, which questions the validity of some of the points he makes.
You have written a really good review here. I enjoyed reading it. The editing errors were really distracting in the book. I also concur that some of the research is old news. My biggest problem with the book was the author's inability to recognize alternative medicine as the burgeoning, important, and well-researched field that is has become. Check my review if you like. Thanks for the well-written review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”