Review by Ravyn -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ravyn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... sterday</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravyn.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Review by Ravyn -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Ravyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

J. J. Jorgens has produced a modern-day detective thriller written with the nostalgic air of an age-old classic. Drawn as I am to the romance of a spine-chilling, intricate web of mystery and deception I was glad to find this book did not disappoint. The dramatic introduction of Mary Jane through her self-written obituary immediately set the book apart and sparked a curiosity that motivated me to finish the book in a single sitting.

A good story is often enriched by a noteworthy setting around which the author weaves the lives of the characters. Set in Washington DC, the author benefits from our preconceptions of a city that is synonymous for political drama, national history, pride and architecture thanks to the extensive coverage of the city in mainstream media across the world.

Readers can follow Mary Jane Morris pursuing doggedly on the trail of a coalition of political adversaries with the help of enigmatic clues left behind by her late friend and former partner Davy. The authorities initially rule his death as a suicide but intuition and experience point Mary Jane towards foul play. Her investigations take her down a virtual ‘rabbit hole’ that tunnels past the bribery, corruption and cover-ups by dangerous individuals who are willing to go to any lengths to insulate themselves from the repercussions of their actions. The book is an eye-opener that offers insight into the choices of man and their struggles with ambition, anger, envy, greed and pride on a daily basis.

The book, while being a fictional piece of literature, explores a plethora of underlying issues that stain society today. Using a gripping thriller as a driving force this book carries us through these different and complex social dilemmas with little effort. The title of the book introduces the Veterans as the main target of the political manipulations and touches on the appalling conditions resulting suicides, depression, neglect and ill health faced by these individuals who sacrificed the better part of their lives in the service of their country. It further highlights the unfortunate situation where veterans become nothing more than political rhetoric which does not translate into concrete action.

These harsh truths are not ones we often want to hear and the public is often disillusioned by the statistics and figures presented to them on a daily basis. In my opinion, this book can create a lasting impression with the identifiable characters whose lives we immerse ourselves in. Misogyny is another topic subtly referenced in the book. The author chooses to bring this issue to like by demonstrating how Mary Jane consciously uses it to her advantage during her numerous investigations.

What I, as a reader, enjoyed about this book is the authors honestly in capturing what can be accepted as a realistic interpretation of the convolutions that spring about systems corrupted by man’s weaknesses. While it is common to find books that portray the choices we face on a daily basis as black and white, it is not often that we come across a book that quite unashamedly explores the grey areas in between; where good people may do bad things for the right reasons or bad people may do good things for the wrong ones.

Blurred lines form the basis of the character development and it raises the question whether or not anyone is truly innocent. What lines do you cross? And under whose moral authority? The book outlines how these questions are not limited to a single subgroup but across the spectrum which ranges from politicians, authority figures, the police force, journalists, lawyers, veterans, civilians and civil servants, hackers and everything in between.

I give Veterans Day: A Mary Jane Morris Mystery by author J. J. Jorgens a rating of 4 out of 4 stars primarily for its unique insight into the minds of its characters as well as its conscientious storyline that adds more value to the book. In my opinion, the book will appeal to any reader of detective fiction as well as enthusiasts in American crime and thrillers.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ravyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! I thought the information about the veterans - although presented as part of a fictional novel - reflected our present day society. I was also amazed that you read the entire book in a single sitting! Wow!
Mary Wangare
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mary Wangare »

I like the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”