Review by gabriel23brinson -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gabriel23brinson
Currently Reading: The Wave
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriel23brinson.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by gabriel23brinson -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by gabriel23brinson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The adventurous story of Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon, and Margaret B. Hannon is a very brief children’s book. This work of fiction was also illustrated by Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon. The tale is about an exploratory cat that went hunting for a rat, or at least that’s how the story began. At the end of the adventure Puffy’s final choice of words were, “there’s no place like home.” What could have possibly happened to Puffy?

Puffy portrays an amazing cat with a sense of innocence. One day the amazing cat decided to go hunting for a rat. During the search Puffy peeked into a hole and came across a wild rodent, but is this the rodent that he was looking for? After some time hunting Puffy scampers further into the woods. Little does he know of the danger ahead of him. The conflict between the mysterious foe Puffy came up against surely became a life changing experience for him. Consequently, an experience that forced his owner to use a “yucky” substance to make it all go away.

The first thing that caught my eye about this book was the word “formidable” in the title. I’m almost certain the first time a child comes across this word they’ll ask what it means, which is a good thing. I believe once the definition of the word is explained to the young reader it’ll give them a better perception of Puffy, allowing them to soak into the story more. Which is very important for young readers to read a story that's not too hard to follow. It was the perfect word to describe Puffy.

Throughout the book the pictures were simple and colorful. The pictures were even able to bring out the inner child in me, which is rare. The authors arranged each word at the end of each sentence to rhyme. The selection of most of the rhyming words that were used were appealing to me. Some of the words were quite easy and some of the others were a little more difficult, which is also a good learning technique. In the introductory area of the book, the authors explain how the book is an interactive-tool that can be used in a variety of ways, and left their email address ([email protected]) for the audience to request a free list of the big words to encourage a rich vocabulary. At the end of the book the authors leave a blank picture of Puffy to color as a reward which is only to be done after the discussion of the story is completed. The audience can also utilize the email address above to request an additional coloring page. Cool!

All in all, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. Once writing this review I came to appreciate the work even more once I actually dissected the construction of the story. I rate Puffy and the Formidable Foe 4 out of 4 stars, mainly because on top of it being a great tale, it can be used over and over in a variety of ways. Personally, the message I gained from this story is how dangerous it can be to wander off alone. I think it’s an awesome learning tool and finally, the authors were very thoughtful several times.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gabriel23brinson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Gabriel, I agree with your comment about "formidable" standing out in the title. It is a great way to get children to learn that word.

For me, this book scored highly for rhyming and offering the parental discussion syllabus. I was disappointed, however, with Puffy's portrayal. He was illustrated differently on most pages. Some pages he had eyelashes; some pages he did not. Some pages he had a pink nose, whereas on others it was grey or white.

Did any of you notice this? I only rated the book 3/4. Do you think the differing Puffys warranted negative impact on the score?

My review here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=54531
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”