Review by FizztIzzy -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FizztIzzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fizztizzy.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by FizztIzzy -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by FizztIzzy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

YESTERDAY A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann is a romance book about antique expert Amanda Parker, and Mounted Police Officer Mark Callahan.

Amanda and Mark meet when she saves him from being crushed by a derailed elevated train. She ends up injured from falling debris, and he takes her into an antique shop to avoid further injury. As she waivers in and out of consciousness she fixates on the tic toc of a grandfather clock at the antique store. Days after the accident, Amanda is still fixated on the grandfather clock and goes back to the antique store to purchase it. Surprisingly she runs into Mark just leaving the store as she walks in, and they make dinner plans for the next night. From the moment they meet, they both feel like they know each other, but they have never met before. They decide to consult with Amanda’s aunt Mary, an extremely successful psychologist, to try Past Life Therapy (PLT).

They try PLT with Amanda, and immediately she is taken back to Charleston, South Carolina in 1862. She is 5 year old Bonnie May Belle Lexington. Amanda’s PLT journey follows Bonnie, her father, cousin Jack, and slaves Ben and Magdalene as they travel from Charleston to Cleveland through the civil war lines.

The story seamlessly migrated back and forth between the present, and Amanda’s PLT sessions, making it easy to know which era you were reading about. She did an excellent job of describing not only what was going on, but describing it so well you felt you were actually in the wagon with Bonnie and Jack when the guns were firing. I felt like the author researched the civil war era, describing how to make Confederate Candles, Idiot’s Delight, and the hiding of the bells of Saint Michael’s Church.

I had never heard of Past Life Therapy before reading this book, but the author explained it very clearly through conversation between Mark and Mary, and also by example when Amanda was hypnotized back to the past. It was also interesting that Mary discussed details of what Amanda experienced as Bonnie after the session, and how the author showed what could happen if the post session discussion wasn’t completed.

I really liked all the characters in this book. I like Mark who knew what he wanted right away, and her aunt Mary was hilarious. However, I did get tired of the poor Amanda mantra throughout the book. It just made Amanda seem whiney. And who can afford a 3 day drinking binge right after they started a new job? I enjoyed the historical part of the book better than the present. Bonnie and Jack were a joy to read about, and I really liked their connection with slaves Ben and Magdalene, and later with Penelope and Margaret. The historical portion was dangerous, and more exciting.

I enjoyed reading YESTERDAY A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann. The editing was excellent; I didn’t find any issues with grammar, spelling, typos or weird wording. I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars. I found the book interesting with the different eras of time, and I couldn’t stop reading it. This book would appeal to romance readers.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like FizztIzzy's review? Post a comment saying so!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ah, I feel like you did a much better job making the story sound interesting than the book description did. I've been somewhat back and forth on whether or not I want to read this book but I think your review has just tipped it in the scale of wanting to read, which is kind of funny since I don't typically enjoy romance novels. Thanks so much for your review.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I completely agree with your review. I too loved this book. It was a really interesting read. I would love to read it again. Thank you for writing this review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I also thought the author did an excellent job of researching the Civil War Era and making it come alive. You comment about the Amanda mantra also rang true. I found Amanda to be emotionally immature. Great comments. I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”