Review by amybo82 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Review by amybo82 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by amybo82 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley is a funny children’s book about a boy who is surrounded by a lot of smelly stuff. Sigfried goes through all kinds of items in his house trying to figure out where the terrible smell is coming from. Read along to follow Sigfried and his nose through rotten fruit, stinky siblings, yucky clothes, and more. He thinks the pile of socks under the bed might be the culprit until he stumbles upon family members with odor issues. Sigfried keeps finding more and more stinky things all through his house. In the end, there’s a surprise that will delight readers and leave them cracking up!

The story is funny and easy to follow. By utilizing rhyme and humor, the author pulls the reader in. The book appears to be professionally edited, with no major spelling or grammatical errors. The story is silly, and it encourages children to explore the gross side of life. There is a hilarious ending that will make kids want to read it again and again. One precaution for parents: there is quite a bit of toilet humor. For example, the dog pees, the sister has a dirty diaper, and the brother wipes his nose in the pages of the book. Some people are sensitive to these topics, or they do not feel they are appropriate for children of a certain age. However, the author presents the topics in a humorous way, and kids of all ages will laugh out loud as they read.

In addition to the story line, the text placement is an important consideration in children’s books. Sometimes, the text can detract from the page, looking out of place. In Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, the text is well placed, and it adds to the aesthetic of the page as a whole. The font is fun but still readable, and the text size is nice and large. The words flow well with the pictures.

Children will love the colorful, bright illustrations. The illustrator utilizes a combination of real photographs and drawings to create Sigfried’s world. This mixed-media approach works perfectly for the story, and it is done extremely well. It looks professional and attractive. The illustrations are bold enough to capture the reader’s attention, and they’re interesting enough to keep you entertained all the way through.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars! It’s going to make any kid laugh! The illustrations are great, and the text plays really well with the images. The hilarious story will keep the reader coming back over and over. I would recommend this book for children ages five to twelve. Fans of B.J. Novak’s The Book with No Pictures and William Kotzwinkle’s Walter the Farting Dog will love this story about Sigfried and all of his stinky stuff.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like amybo82's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I am still a child by heart. I too read this book and really had a good laugh.
Please check out my review of this book and share your comments.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=52548
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like that there is a combination of real pictures and drawings. I think children would enjoy that. Thanks for the review. It certainly sounds like a fun little book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A beautiful book for young children. Appreciate the warning about the potty humor. Very helpful. Thanks.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Such a funny story! I loved all the hilarious drawings in the book.
Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”