Review by Insightsintobooks729 -- Life Before by K.L. Romo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Insightsintobooks729 -- Life Before by K.L. Romo

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Life Before" by K.L. Romo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Told in multiple storylines Life Before by K. L. Romero is a historical fiction book that examines the concept of past lives. This book examines what it might be like to relive one. Elaine, the protagonist who starts it all, is an older women whose children have grown. She decides to start writing the novel she has always wanted to. As she sits down to write, she is transported to the early 1900s where she is Eliza Darling, a prostitute trying to reform herself.

While Eliza is trying to reform herself we learn of her past and how she became a "working girl", as she calls it.
We also learn the story of Millie, another girl, who becomes a prostitute as well. All of these stories intertwine to paint a picture of the sex trade in 1900s Dallas.

Interwoven between Millie and Eliza is the story of Elaine, the writer. She is trying to figure out what has happened and if she has lost her sanity. She visits the library where she discovers Eliza is a real person. All these stories work together to form a cohesive story line.

Life Before is a book that I found hard to put down, though I had to at times. I liked reading the multiple storylines in this book. I also enjoyed reading about a subject that few authors dare to broach. While, I enjoyed this book, due to the nature of the subject I would not recommend it to a young audience. There are explicit scenes in this book. If you have ever experienced sexual assault of any kind I would be careful in reading this book, as it may trigger symptoms of PTSD. Having said that, I have PTSD and was able to get through and enjoy this book. However, it does not mean that everyone who has had such experiances will be able to. Please read with caution if you have had such experiances and you choose to read this book.

This book was well edited and had very few errors. I could tell that the author did her research for this book. I was captivated by the lives of the characters, as well as the writing itself. The writing was well done and kept you wanting to read more. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of these things.

Overall, I liked this book. I think that if you are a fan of historical fiction you will as well. This would also be a good book for those wanting to learn about the horrors in the lives of prostitutes and gain empathy for "working girls" everywhere.

Life Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insightsintobooks729's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've always loved time travel stories and this book has such a promising premise. But I will take your warnings into account, as I have no wish to at the moment to be confronted with scenes of explicit scenes, especially if it involves sexual assault. Thank you for this review.
Insightsintobooks729

inaramid wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 05:27 I've always loved time travel stories and this book has such a promising premise. But I will take your warnings into account, as I have no wish to at the moment to be confronted with scenes of explicit scenes, especially if it involves sexual assault. Thank you for this review.
You're welcome.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I agree that this is a difficult subject but the author did a great job - in two time periods. The research was great. Enjoyed your comments. Thanks.
Insightsintobooks729

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 21:08 Great review. I agree that this is a difficult subject but the author did a great job - in two time periods. The research was great. Enjoyed your comments. Thanks.
Thank you for your reply, I'm glad you liked the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”