Review by stolyarchuk_n -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stolyarchuk_n
Currently Reading: Big Five for Life
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stolyarchuk-n.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Review by stolyarchuk_n -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by stolyarchuk_n »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E. Tavel

As it stands from the title, the book is subdivided into three major parts. In the first part the author discusses the most common health topics that concern our everyday life: how many cups of coffee is okay to drink during the day, how harmful are, in reality, sugar- and salt-containing products, is gluten really so harmful or is it only a marketing myth? He approaches all these topics and many more from the scientific point of view and supports the arguments with his own vast experience as a physician. The second part of the book – “Myths” – covers the wider range of questions, some of them going beyond the topics of health and nutrition. In this chapter the author tries to debunk at least some of the most known scientific myths and prejudices, such as vaccination or GMO. In the last chapter the author reveals the typical methods that companies – for example, producers of the miraculous pills for the weight-loss – and media, use to fool us, and the common cognitive errors we are so prone to.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The variety of topics discussed in the book, the clarity and straightforwardness of the narrative combined with the good humor, makes the book very informative and at the same time easy and enjoyable to read. I believe, that it is the kind of book that one should keep on the desk in order to get back to it now and then, for example, to refresh the knowledge about the factors promoting hypertension or to recall some arguments for the fight with the anti-vaccine activists.

I reduced the mark and gave the book only 3/4 because the author sometimes seems to become too emotional when speaking on certain topics. Some rather strong statements are provided without the proper reference to the source. I have no reason to doubt the scientific knowledge or professionalism of the writer, but sometimes I had an impression that the author was falling into using the similar approach as the criticized pseudo-scientists do to convince the readers.

Nevertheless, the book serves great as an overview of a wide range of scientific and health-related issues. Although it does not necessarily provide full scientific explanations of certain mechanisms or phenomena (it was not really the author’s goal), it acts differently – it arises your curiosity and, most importantly, teaches you one of the most valuable skills of our times – critical thinking.

I particularly liked the last chapter, where the author gives an insight into the way the scientific world functions and, especially, the differences between the evidence-based and alternative medicine. The ultimate goal of the book after all is not to convince the reader in someone’s truth, but to teach him to make conscious decisions about his health and life based on the information, that has a scientific evidence behind it, and distinguish it from the fraud practices.

In my opinion, the book will be interesting and useful for the wide range of readers, regardless of their nationality, political views, age, religion and the education level. In other words, if you have ever found yourself wandering in the supermarket and thinking how you can improve your health by making better food choices – this book will definitely be your guide on this way.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stolyarchuk_n's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. I especially like your suggestions in the last paragraph. This book offers something to everyone who wants to improve their health. Nice job.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

stolyarchuk_n wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 12:28 I reduced the mark and gave the book only 3/4 because the author sometimes seems to become too emotional when speaking on certain topics. Some rather strong statements are provided without the proper reference to the source. I have no reason to doubt the scientific knowledge or professionalism of the writer, but sometimes I had an impression that the author was falling into using the similar approach as the criticized pseudo-scientists do to convince the readers.
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it. You have really captured the strengths and challenges of the book. I concur that the doctor was inconsistent in terms of his adherence to research. He makes several false claims about alternative medicine, which did cause me to doubt his professionalism. A really good review. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”