Review by Elizabeth Harvey -- Who Told You That You Were...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elizabeth Harvey
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-harvey.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by Elizabeth Harvey -- Who Told You That You Were...

Post by Elizabeth Harvey »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
By William E. Combs

I did not like this book. My main reasoning being this is supposed to be a nonfiction, which means a true story. It starts off with a fictitious account of Adam in the Garden of Eden. The author is a Minister and embellishes about the book of Genesis and Adam in the Garden of Eden.

Now I was not there in the garden and I can only go by the bible, which is the word of God. By embellishing I understand he was trying to make his story line more interesting. But God's word should not be added to or taken away from, the bible says that.

Being the Father over creation Adam was given charge over everything. God told Adam he was to subdue the earth and have dominion over it. So why would the author have him hiding and afraid of the animals? There was no killing of animals at first. Man and beast ate vegetation and both lived in peace together in the garden.

This book was not all about Adam in the garden. From the author's point of view this is to show that Adam did not have faith to trust and believe in God's word, he was easily persuaded to disobey God. After being given all the other trees to eat from and being told directly by God not to eat from the certain tree. Adam was persuaded by his wife, who was persuaded by the serpent, disobeyed God and ate of the fruit.

There were good outlines on faith for a teaching moment. Adam's lack of faith to just trust God and take him at his word not to eat the tree. This book's outline is to help teach you how to have faith. But I could not get pass the untruths in the beginning, so I did not like it.

Some new to the faith who have not studied the bible yet may take this as truth about Adam. I do not consider this whole book nonfiction because of the chapter on the garden. So I am giving this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is not necessary to embellish or add to God's word. It is able to stand alone by itself.
Someone else might enjoy this book and find the outlines very helpful in building up and with the teaching of how to have faith.

Summary:

The beginning of the book starts off talking about the Garden of Eden and Adam. The author uses poetic license to embellish about the Garden of Eden, Adam, and the animals. Then he takes a more serious turn to make outlines to teach about faith. Comparing Adam's faith and how not to be like him. After being told not to eat of the tree, allows himself to be talked into being disobedient to God by his wife instead of standing in faith and saying no thank you to the fruit. Being disobedient by listening to what someone else says instead of God, we do not want to ever be in this position

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elizabeth Harvey's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you Elizabeth for your honest comments about this book. I agree that the author did embellish in an effort to give his explanation of what may have happened. Thanks for your comments and your honesty.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The story about Adam before he was taken to the garden is to show the audience that there was indeed a life that Adam lived before he was taken to the Garden of Eden.
The story of the man hiding the animals would appear as factual and based on scripture which definetly isn't.
Thanks for bringing this up.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”