Review by ALIGONOU -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALIGONOU
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aligonou.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Review by ALIGONOU -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ALIGONOU »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book's title : Strong heart ; Author : Charlie Sheldon

During an rainy afternoon, Tom has been presented Sarah, an unknown daughter of his dead daughter Becky, by his ex-wife Ruth. Tom was with William and Myra who is William's daughter. They had planned to go to Washington State's Olympic Peninsula wilderness to visit Tom's grandfather's grave. Tom didn't want Sarah to go but his companions wanted. Then they went with Sarah. At the place, they saw numerous animals living with bushes and waters. It has been a mysterious trip. Finally, Sarah could learn a lot of things about the origin of her mother's family and the relationship that could exist between nature, animals and human beings.

I like the style used by Charlie Sheldon to write this story. Sentences are short and ideas are presented as causes and effects. Let me quote this passage from page 23 of the book: "The next day they were on the trail by nine. William was out of shape. He knew it, and he knew Myra knew it. She was worried about him, much as she tried to hide her concern. Again, they walked for 20 minutes, then stopped for five. Sarah trudged along under her pack. She had found a walking stick. After passing the Lillian River crossing they climbed 400 feet and spent the morning following the trail high above the Elwha, through thin scrubby trees perched on scarce soil. Where the trail rejoined the Elwha, four miles further, they came upon a smoking fire ring, scattered wood, and live coals. William could see the impressions from two tents. The other party had spent the night here, 10 miles in from the parking lot. Three miles further, where the interior valley widened, they stopped for the night. William was happy to stop. Sarah helped Myra pitch their tent. She then pulled her sketchpad from her pack and asked if she could go forward past the meadow, see what lay around the next bend".

In that passage, it is obvious that sentences are short and ideas are consequently presented. It means that when you read a first idea, you feel the need of knowing the following one, in such a way you find yourself at the end of the book with pleasure. The book is not boring. The laying out of the book is well done. Pages are not too full and attract for reading.

I'd rather the author recount us more about the past relationship between Ruth and Tom and about Sarah's family, that is, about Becky and her husband. I consider this as a gap that needs to be filled to appreciate Sarah's behavior when she came at her grandfather's. Such an information would better permit us to more analyze Sarah, once in the wilderness. The book has such gaps that need to be filled.

Another thing I don't like, is that when the author dedicates the book to those whose greatest pleasure is curling up with a book on a rainy afternoon. I think this book may be read by anyone, mainly adolescents. Moreover I noticed a grammar error on page 19 : "So this grandparents...."

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, because it is intelligible, full of lessons and is not boring. I can't give it 4 out of 4 stars because we are not supposed to agree with the author about all of his ideas. So, it's due to the relativity of some ideas. At the same time, I can't give 2 out of 4 because the book is full of lessons and contains many new things to be discovered. To my mind, this book is mainly suitable for adolescents.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALIGONOU's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Hmm...I don't know how I feel about this book. You definitely do a good job promoting, it I think, as I can tell you enjoyed it and didn't have many complaints, but even so I don't really feel the premise is all that interesting and as you said, it seems to be missing some things that could add more depth to it overall. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for your review.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I guess that I'm still ambivalent about this book. SOunds like an interesting read. Thank you for writing this review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I really liked the author's descriptions and investigation of the setting and history of the book. The way you describe his writing style is interesting. Nice job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”