Review by Peanut0409 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peanut0409
Currently Reading: Nate
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peanut0409.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Review by Peanut0409 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peanut0409 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Raven’s Peak, written by Lincoln Cole, is a captivating and entertaining fantasy. After his sister’s untimely death, Haatim finds himself in a depression, unable to find joy in the smallest of things until he accepts a stranger’s offer to spy on a mysterious woman named Abigail. Abigail is a lethal Hunter for a secret society, keeping the world safe from the demons living within it. But she has experienced a loss of her own.

When Abagail’s mentor and father figure, The Reverend, saves her from an agonizing eternity by taking her place, can Abagail follow the trail of bread crumbs left to uncover the message that was left behind? Together, Abigail and Haatim, two unlikely friends, battle the fiercest of demons in order to uncover the truth about loyalty, trust and the secret society in which they live.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really like Abigail’s and Haatim’s friendship since it added a comedic twist to the book which without it the book would have been too serious. That being said, some of the jokes towards the end of the book made the story cheesier and could have been taken out such as in chapter twelve when Haatim asks which way he should point the gun in order to shoot it. This moment seemed out of place since Haatim is an extremely intelligent character asking a question that should have been simple. Raven’s Peak was very well written with minimal grammatical errors. One of the errors I noticed was in chapter two. The sentence “Do you have a lot of enemies” asked by Haatim should end in a question mark.

Another thing I really liked about the book was the way Cole depicts each of the main characters. Cole portrays Abagail, Haatim, and the Reverend in a way that captures the readers interest in a very short amount of time and makes it feel as if the reader has known the characters for years. Each character has a distinct personality and set of abilities while still remaining relatable to the reader. I believe that the combination of having each character have their own personalities and abilities while remaining relatable to the reader points to the larger idea that everyone is different, but everyone can contribute to whatever situation is at hand.

Raven’s Peak is will thrill and inspire readers, enveloping them into a world of dark magic and demon hunters, where even the lost can find themselves with the help of a friend. Although this is the first book that I’ve read by Cole I have a feeling that this is an author who will continue to amaze me with vibrant and exciting stories. I highly recommend anyone looking for a new book to pick up a copy of Raven’s Peak.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Peanut0409's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review! I like your comments about the contrast between the humorous moments and the dark magic and demons. Great job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”