Review by Ali B -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ali B
Currently Reading: The tree of yoga
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ali-b.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00MHI0QGQ

Review by Ali B -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by Ali B »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

The genre of this book is modern romantic fiction and is set in what I understood to be a fictional region in America. The story centres around a young couple, Elise and Greg, who become friends because of Greg’s business connection with Elise’s father and ultimately fall in love. Elise is a young Law student, soon to graduate, while Greg runs the business his father left him after he died and is a high profile eligible bachelor engaged to be married to a beautiful socialite called Lori. The relationship between Greg and Elise begins and stalls quite early in the story; as Greg’s bachelor past catches up with him after he calls off his engagement to Lori, neither Greg or Elise feel able to commit to one another. The relationship between Elise and her parents develops during this time and new levels of understanding grow between them. As the story unfolds, Greg and Elise are reunited and as anticipation of their wedding heightens Elise is involved in a nasty accident which renders her incapacitated and in hospital for a number of weeks. Meanwhile, Greg and her family seek to discover the truth about who was responsible for the accident.

The character development in this story was slow and fairly weak. I grew a sense of who the characters were over time but struggled to genuinely warm to either of them or understand the depth of feeling they had for one another and why. I felt the same with the relationship between Elise and her parents although I enjoyed how the author created opportunity during the story for the relationship between Elise and her mother to be deepened and I thought that it was thoughtfully portrayed.

I found the storyline to be fairly formulaic although not unreadable. I did find myself wondering what would happen next as I turned the pages although never with any degree of deep intrigue or suspense. I found some of the dialogue between the characters to be unbelievable in the context of what was happening in the story and was disappointed that certain themes had been skimmed over rather than dealt with in more detail. I also found there to be an excessive use of commas throughout the entire book. I suspect the author was attempting dramatic pause for effect however this was lost on me and I felt almost half of the commas used were not required. I was pleased to find there was no use of gratuitous sex scenes which are often included to spice up a romance novel that doesn’t contain an overly absorbing storyline.

I would suggest this as a nice enough book to read if you don’t have much time and wish for something superficially absorbing without requiring too much brain power. I think the author warmed up during the story and the narrative flowed slightly better during the middle and towards the end than it had at the beginning, however, I can only really describe it as fair rather than good and therefore rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

Hello, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ali B's review? Post a comment saying so!
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MLove83 »

Completely agree with you, especially regarding the excessive commas. I found myself wondering why they were used almost as much as thinking about any part of the actual story! :roll:

It was rather nice about the non-use of gratuitous sex, though. Romance is one of my favorite genres and there seems to be a trend in modern "romance" books to beef up the quantity of sex scenes as well as make the content more hardcore. I thought the intimacy was refreshingly sweet and happened just often enough. If only the main characters connected as well outside of the bedroom!
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
Ali B
Currently Reading: The tree of yoga
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ali-b.html
Reading Device: B00MHI0QGQ

Post by Ali B »

MLove83 wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 22:44 Completely agree with you, especially regarding the excessive commas. I found myself wondering why they were used almost as much as thinking about any part of the actual story! :roll:

It was rather nice about the non-use of gratuitous sex, though. Romance is one of my favorite genres and there seems to be a trend in modern "romance" books to beef up the quantity of sex scenes as well as make the content more hardcore. I thought the intimacy was refreshingly sweet and happened just often enough. If only the main characters connected as well outside of the bedroom!
Thank you for reading my review and for your comments. Did you review this book? I’d be interested to read it if you did.
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html

Post by MLove83 »

Yes I did :)
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

An unrealistic dialogue? Even though it is a romantic story. This one is not for me. Thanks for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I downloaded it from Smashwords and read a couple of pages. As you say in your review, it's clearly formulaic. I think the comma thing is connected with the style. Firstly, there seems to be a preference for lists in descriptions ("tall, dark, and handsome", and secondly, I spotted some long, run-on sentences. Thanks for your great review in any case.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. I enjoyed your comment about the relationship between Elise and her mother. Her parents were there for her and helped her mature through her hardship. Nice job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”