Review by scullen -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scullen
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scullen.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Review by scullen -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by scullen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi tells the story of Inca and her gang of furry friends as they solve mysteries in their neighborhood. Her feline siblings Cara and Fromage, their friends Charlotte the hamster, fat cat Monk, the sleuthing dog Terrance, and yappy Polo, all come together to form a detective agency. Inca, the protagonist and aspiring investigator, invites readers to join the journey through her very own diary.

In hopes of becoming the best cat detective the world's ever seen, Inca sets out on an adventure of a lifetime. While Terrance is in search of a neighbor's missing husband, Inca and her crew decide to help former bully Boss the dog find a way to keep his home so he can stay with his humanoid.

This adorable children's book would be a hit in any home. From the first line you get into Inca's voice and each of the supporting characters has an original personality of their own. Each character is distinct, with both negative and positive traits and qualities that make them memorable. From Boss' tendency to growl to Fromage's undying love of cheese, children and parents alike will love these characters. The story is incredibly engaging, a genuine mystery filled with drama and tension, and I found myself eagerly turning each page.

The book was playful, creative, and funny from start to finish. For a children's book, the author managed to keep an adult on her toes, unsure of what would happen next. It was fun to see the story unfold through the eyes of Inca herself; her commentary on the situations in her diary were hilarious. Not to mention the illustrations of the house pets were absolutely the cutest!

This would be the perfect book for elementary school kids just getting into chapter books, those that love animals or mysteries, and would work perfectly for a parent to read as a bedtime story to younger kids. In fact, the story lends itself quite nicely to parents who read to their children, with numerous opportunities to do different voices and countless sections where Inca's written big noisy words for emphasis.

The book is near perfect, but there is one minor issue I could see children having. There are a lot of characters to keep track of throughout the story, with the majority of them being introduced right at the beginning. For a younger reader it may be difficult to remember who is who, although the author does do an amazing job of describing each character in a way that makes them easy to distinguish from the rest. Still, I can see how a child could get confused having to remember such a large amount.

Overall, Inca's story was an absolute joy to read, and I'd recommend it in a heart beat. An imaginative tale any animal lover would enjoy, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. It's rare to find a children's book with so much heart and such an incredibly rich story, but Snoopy Cat hits the mark and then some. I look forward to seeing more of Kristi's work.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like scullen's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for your beautiful review of this book. Young readers would certainly enjoy this book. Besides presenting a mystery to solve, there is humor and teamwork. The illustrations were also great. Nice review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a wonderful book for children with humor as well as mystery. It is probably a good start in getting the children to interact with the book contents and if the illustrations were good then it is great.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Having reviewed the book myself, I find we're absolutely agreed on the problem with the large number of characters - but, yes, they are engaging. You scored it more generously than me - I wish we could marks out of ten instead of only 1-4.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Love the review. Thank you for posting. It seems like a light, relaxing read. Will try it out next.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Great review. I agree with your statement here:

"This would be the perfect book for elementary school kids just getting into chapter books, those that love animals or mysteries, and would work perfectly for a parent to read as a bedtime story to younger kids."

However, as I mentioned in my review too, I found the cat too pompous and proud to be a role model. We teach children that "pride comes before a fall", but in this story, Inca (although she is a fabulous detective) seems to be a little aggressive in her thoughts and descriptions. Maybe it is not what we can teach our kids. As a story, however, it is indeed good, not many complaints.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

My kids and I enjoyed this book too. It’s a fun and suspenseful fable. I appreciate the themes and lessons of determination and the importance of friendship. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I just read this one. I had never read the other ones in the series. I did enjoy it, it's humorous and unique, but there are a lot of characters to keep track of! That part was difficult. Definitely a book an adult and child can read together over several nights.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”