Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Who Told You That You ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Who Told You That You ...

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E. Combs is, necessarily, a retelling of Genesis, the first book of the Pentateuch, a collection of five books by Moses. This book takes us on location where Creation is in progress. It is now the sixth day. We find Adam marveling at the sights before him after his eyes became functional. Venturing on a sandbar, he climbs a rock shelf and peers at his reflection on the water of the river, later known to be the Euphrates. Many thoughts occupied his mind. Then suddenly, his reverie was disrupted by a ewe at the water’s edge which was instantly taken down by a lioness, disappearing into the undergrowth with its prey. Adam shuddered upon realizing that the lioness might have been stalking him, and the ewe may have sacrificed itself for him. After examining the scene of the encounter, Adam retraced the ewe’s footprints into the forest, which ultimately led to the orphaned lamb. He fed the lamb by letting it suckle his fingers dipped in wheat and almond slurry. The lamb became Adam’s companion, and yet, it is never at par with a creature which would look like himself. And this he constantly moans.

This short episode is a nice addition to the story of Creation, showing the humanity of Adam, though, in a sense, apocryphal. Moses will surely disown it. However, it shows how life gets rough-and-tumble outside the Garden of Eden. And this could be the reason why Adam and Eve should be in the garden.

It is a truly unique and refreshing experience to read the happenings inside the Garden of Eden, told in the viewpoint of Adam, Eve and the cast, and even of the serpent. The rhetoric forwarded in this book derives from what they have to say. Anyone could read the biblical scriptures anytime, in Moses’ narrative. But here, the Reverend Combs poured the words into the mouth of everyone in the story, for a purpose.

I admire the rhetoric, the way Reverend Combs confronts our reasoning. Then, when I felt I was won over to his concepts, I sensed the book began ringing with authority. It could not be faulted, though, for it was inspired by a sermon, as the Reverend explains so, at the ending. It becomes apparent that the book’s purpose is to teach, hence, pedagogical. And farther, as faith builds up, and more persuasive it becomes, I find it now dogmatically. It begs for obedience to certain tenets and nuances.

I must honestly say that the little story at the beginning about the actuations of Adam after the ewe-and-lioness incident speaks of Adam as anything, but innocent. It is antithetical to the premise of Adam’s innocence. In recall, he examined the scene of the struggle as though a crime-scene operative; he tracked the lamb into the forest with the acumen of a Forest Ranger; he fed the lamb as though a veterinarian in dire circumstances.

There are errors in the book, missing words, and wrong prepositions, among others, but some may just be variants of the quoted texts of different versions of the Bible, i.e., different from mine, and might not be errors at all. After due consideration of all the factors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

For all the religious people who had some mystical experiences, or instances of enlightenment, or those who perceived they have a calling to a vocation, this book will be an excellent read.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Papa don't preach! 😂
Kidding aside, you made a thorough review of this book.

I have read the book of Genesis but have not remembered anything about the story you mentioned above.

I can't wait to read your other reviews from other genres.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Thanks for passing by. I am bent to take my time easily, you know, answering only game-questions to rest my mind. Then comes the time to buckle up, reviewing hard-fact contents such as these. I am sometimes amazed, I still remained sane. Good luck to your reviews.

CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice review. I hate it when a book isn't thoroughly edited! Thank you for pointing out those errors.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 22:58 Nice review. I hate it when a book isn't thoroughly edited! Thank you for pointing out those errors.
Thanks for passing by. Someday, I might be as courageous as you. More power to you.

KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I think your review of Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E. Combs is interesting, ReyvrexQuestor Reyes! It is one book I enjoyed reading.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kabayan! You never seize to amaze me; this is another of your intense reviews.

I would like to think that I qualify to read this book since I have had instances of enlightenment. The mystical experiences and the calling to a vocation have not yet come, though.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

KlareAllison wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 17:21 I think your review of Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E. Combs is interesting, ReyvrexQuestor Reyes! It is one book I enjoyed reading.
Thank you for your kind comment, Klare Allison. Having said that you enjoyed reading the book means that you are one among the few who are enlightened. This book is heavy on the preaching aspect. Aside from the real-life anecdotes, the rest qualifies as Sermon on the Mount material.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 03:16 Hi, Kabayan! You never seize to amaze me; this is another of your intense reviews.

I would like to think that I qualify to read this book since I have had instances of enlightenment. The mystical experiences and the calling to a vocation have not yet come, though.
You could become a Gospel reader in masses, and that way you read the Bible every time. The mystical experiences will lead you to sainthood. Would you like that?

Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Yes, of course! Who wouldn't want to be a saint and go to heaven? But I'm in no hurry.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 03:52 Yes, of course! Who wouldn't want to be a saint and go to heaven? But I'm in no hurry.
It might be boring up there. lol

Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I keep hearing how good this book is. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Great Review! 🎆
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Amagine wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 21:57 I keep hearing how good this book is. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Great Review! 🎆
This is a spoiler of an advice: the first half will challenge your mind, appeal to your reasoning; for the second half, it will be pastoral. You will feel like you are in a church service, not bad at all. lol

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It could be interesting to hear the "voices" of these well known characters of Genesis. I'm not sure I want to read a dogmatic book, though. Thanks for the review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Kalin Adi wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 23:11 It could be interesting to hear the "voices" of these well known characters of Genesis. I'm not sure I want to read a dogmatic book, though. Thanks for the review!
I am sure you will live through it. lol. It all depends on what your outlook is regards evangelical pieces. If you go to church and hear the preachings, maybe this one compares better.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”