Review by Insightsintobooks729 -- Health Tips, Myths, an...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Insightsintobooks729 -- Health Tips, Myths, an...

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you want to know the truth about e-cigarettes? Are there benefits to chocolate? Is bottled water really better? Are yearly checkups really necessary? Are dietary supplements really okay? Morton Tavel, MD's book Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks answers these questions and more so we can be informed and aware of the information we consume and if it is sound or not.

Health, Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice (Snake Oil Book 2) by Morton E. Tavel, MD gives us a pathway to navigate the medical advice and health information we encounter every day. Through the eyes of a physician, we are shown what advice we should listen to and what is simply "snake oil", or useless medical advice that either doesn't work or could harm us.

Broken into three parts this book offers something for everyone. The "tips" in part one help us to live healthier lives. The "myths" in part two show misconceptions that we usually believe. The last section, "tricks", shows us ways that companies and the medical industry use to cost us money for useless or even dangerous products.

I liked learning the different facts the author presents and whether they are true or not. One of the things I enjoyed learning was about chocolate. The author tells us that, "Although the findings are limited, one study found that survivors of heart attacks who ate chocolate at least two or three times a week reduced their risk of death by a factor of up to threefold, compared to survivors who did not eat chocolate." (Pg 55). He covers both the positive and negatives of chocolate, and then gives you his recommendation.

I liked that each of the ideas has information on it and a conclusion at the end, which showes the doctor's recommendation based upon the available information.

There were a few spelling and grammar errors throughout this book. I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because, while I enjoyed the information presented I felt that it needed to be edited better.

Overall, I liked this book. The author presents us with a wealth of information in small chunks so it's easy to digest and refer back to. I feel like this is a good book for anyone wanting to improve their health. I also think it is good for those wanting to know the truth about vaccines and other 'conspiracies' that we hear about.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insightsintobooks729's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. You make me want to go see what the author has to say about chocolate. :) Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 14:27 Nice review. You make me want to go see what the author has to say about chocolate. :) Thanks!
Thank you, and you're welcome. It's a very informative book. :)
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I hear you on the chocolate findings! Your opening questions also highlight some of people's most common concerns. Nice job. (Now I need to go get some chocolate!!)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed your review. You asked all the right questions in your opening, to draw in your reader. Like you, I did learn some good tips about health and wellness from the book. I felt like the author's bias was a little too strong in some areas, such as with his condemnation of alternative medicine. That was just not in step with contemporary medicine. Check my review if you are interested. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”