Review by Stapes -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Review by Stapes -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Stapes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief by Jordan David is a charming tale about Christmas. The story revolves around the North Pole and the effort needed to prepare for the most important night in the elven calendar: Christmas.

The Elf Brief tells the story of Noel, one of Santa’s elves. Noel has no idea what fate has in store for him when he receives a cryptic summoning to meet with all the department heads at Santa’s office. He soon realizes that he is in way over his head as it is not just a meeting with the most important elves at the North Pole but also with Santa himself. He learns that Santa is about to retire, and he is one of the chosen who will go out and meet the best candidate, who will replace the big man.

The book managed to shroud a lot of mystery around everything that happens around the North-Pole and managed to create a sense of anticipation about the secretive happenings that are only hinted at. The book creates a deep story that has a lot of potential for future books in the series, even if the attempt at mystery created an empty first story. The best part of the book is the way that it paves the way for the rest of the series. The book really sets up for an interesting continuation of all the plotlines that started in this book, even when some of them are only touched on for a page or two.

One of the biggest issues of the story is that everything that happens could have happened with or without Noel. The main character adds little to nothing to the actual events that happen in the story. The elves in the story also don’t really make an impact as they are mostly differentiated between by the color of their hats, that only tell you what department they work in and descriptions of side characters in the story leave nothing more than a blank slate. This is especially noticeable in the beginning of the story when facial features and physical attributes can help you form an idea of what the elves look like, yet the only thing I remembered about most characters was their age and the color of their hat. There is also no antagonist in the story and the only thing that drives the plot is the fact that Christmas is coming, and everything should be ready for the biggest night of the elfin year.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It creates a really strong first book in the series and sets up for a lot of unexplored story I am very excited about exploring in the following books. The book sets the pace of the series too well for 2 stars. There is very little character progression in the story and when you have a story about something that has been rehashed as many times as Christmas then I feel that likeable and dynamic characters are really important. That is why I cannot give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for anyone that is looking for a fresh look at Christmas stories. I would not recommend it to anyone not interested in the administrative obligations of elves.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Stapes's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

Nice review! Sounds like the elves are lacking a sense of identity, but aside from that the story seems pretty solid. And with Santa being an eternal legend in and of itself, it's interesting to see someone take the human quality (ie. mortality) and run with it and feature the elves, often background characters, instead.

That last comment reminded me of Hermione Granger's stance on elves from the Harry Potter series. :)
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Nick Rones
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nick-rones.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Nick Rones »

Really Nice Review. I quite enjoyed the book.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Vagrantmystic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrantmystic.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Vagrantmystic »

Very nice review! You describe just enough to peek the interest of fellow readers. I too am looking forward to exploring the series!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

Vagrantmystic wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 20:18 Very nice review! You describe just enough to peek the interest of fellow readers. I too am looking forward to exploring the series!
Thank you for reading :)
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Great review! I think the author did pretty good describing Noel, I could picture him and his curly hair quite well. I agree that some of the other elves aren’t as memorable. I think White Christmas and Golden Ball had more distinctive looks as far as clothing. Spices has a distinctive personality, but I’m not sure what he looks like. In a way, it’s sort of like real-life. A character as overwhelmed as Noel was at first would notice far less than a relaxed individual I suppose, lol.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”