Review by Suzzete -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Suzzete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzzete.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Review by Suzzete -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post by Suzzete »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

CURVE COUTURE is a romantic novel by H M Irwing about a plus size model named Claire who started as a modelling agent to her younger sister Janice. She wasn’t particularly close with Janice but when she slept with her fiancé, the guilt she felt drove her to resign as her agent and look for someone else to take her place, however, the person she had in mind; Erin did not want to take her sister as a model, instead he offered to sign her as a plus size model in his own agency. What followed later was a twisted romance between Erin and Claire. Loving each other while still battling their own personal problems mostly influenced by their family members.

I had high hopes when I began reading this book but somewhere along the way, the zeal went down. For a romance novel, I expected the love to flow from simple little things at first and graduate into wanting to always be in each other’s company. To me it felt like this “love” was forced by the writer, there was hardly any chemistry between Erin and Claire. Erin’s definition of love was mostly control while Claire who was only too happy to submit to him, never saw a problem with being controlled or blamed for things she had no control over.

I have mixed feelings for this book, mostly because I feel it could have been better. There were parts in this book that I had a hard time understanding and could not really tell what was going on.

Claire being a plus size model in a world that was not fully accepting of plus sized girls was a strong woman. She had gone through what I would term as epic humiliations even before Erin’s brother when she stripped without being aware of his presence. There were many occurrences where her figure served to her demise; being humiliated even by her stylist. The fact that she went through all this and still went on ahead as a plus size model is encouraging to other plus sized girls though to some extent I expected her to stand up for herself and not allow them to treat her in such a way.

The approach Erin used to “court” Claire felt degrading. He sexualized her in a “whorish manner”. It seemed like all he wanted was to have intercourse with her and “taste” her size. I expected more from him but sadly I could not connect with him at all.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because, for one, the cover page does not depict Claire as a plus size woman, two, there were parts I really had a hard time understanding; the fears both Claire and Erin had and the conversations they had were unclear to me, lastly, I felt like this relationship was not nurtured or developed rather it was "forced" to exist with hardly any connection between Erin and Claire.

Curve Couture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Suzzete's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Your review hits the nail on the head. I felt much them same way about the book. I thought their "relationship" was forced and lousy. I was pretty much done after he blames her for "pretically getting herself raped" after he leaves her on the street to go get their car. I was about as kind as you in my review of the book.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

The book is good but not my type of genre. You have a nice review. Thanks for reviewing this.
Suzzete
Currently Reading:

Post by Suzzete »

Reviewing it was quite a task to be honest Comm :-D
Suzzete
Currently Reading:

Post by Suzzete »

Anytime Prinjeh18 :-)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Suzzete wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 08:56 Reviewing it was quite a task to be honest Comm :-D
Take a look at my version of the review. You might get a kick out of it:-)
Suzzete
Currently Reading:

Post by Suzzete »

I see am not the only one who felt disappointed :)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This is the second review I've read on this book, and I must say that you offer a completely different perspective. I didn't even give the book cover a second look at all, which, now that you've pointed it out is kind of a misrepresentation of the book's theme. Good work on this one!
Suzzete
Currently Reading:

Post by Suzzete »

Thank you Inaramid
Suzzete
Currently Reading:

Post by Suzzete »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 12:56
Suzzete wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 08:56 Reviewing it was quite a task to be honest Comm :-D
Take a look at my version of the review. You might get a kick out of it:-)
I see am not the only one who felt disappointed.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Nope, I have no desire to read anything else by this author.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”