Review by Tsheola Asavela -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Review by Tsheola Asavela -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First published in 2015, this novel has seen four editions in both digital and tangible formats since then. The author, William H. Coles is an award-winning writer from Utah, and founder of the website https://www.storyinliteraryfiction.com/ amongst numerous other notable achievements and contributions to the literary arts.

The story is expertly divided into five parts which highlight particular points in the main character’s stages in life. Like his other novels, Guardian of Deceit also has something to do with the field of medicine which makes sense, for the author himself is a Professor Emeritus in the field. This time around, he chose an orphaned teenager aspiring to be a medical professional as the lead character by the name Darwin Hastings. He is first introduced from his humble days in junior high, to a promising varsity student, all the way to his acquiring success and a deserved wealth, as heir and a hard worker to top it all. The book has a broad scope of focus besides selfishly delving into the challenges that Darwin faces namely; his studies and career; emotional and social relationships; and the inner workings of a model, genius mind.

The story departs and takes flight from Pittsburgh to upper-class living in the Hamptons when Darwin relocates wherein, the other characters of interest dwell. The most interesting one is the guardian in question, whose secret habits, addictions, and affairs add up to be among the dark aspects, and a startling revelation. He is Luther Pinnelli… Besides being an arrogant, disregardful jerk that demeans women, he happens to be a celebrity footballer in the major league. At first, it is almost pitiful how the young man is seemingly at first, mistreated by his rich cousin, and owner of the mansion residence. However, Darwin calmly surpasses all odds, and builds himself without complaints, and learns a lot from the people and his surroundings in the process. He ends up having a strong friendship with Luther’s famous pop star girlfriend (later on, wife), Sweeney as a result of a one-sided, weird and messed up celebrity couple dilemma. Two other significant characters (grumpy Granny aside) happen to be employees of the Pinnelli estate, and their part has a major, overall influence and they are; a man called Laszlo who overlooks the security; Mrs Thomas who manages Luther’s administrative affairs.

Darwin Hastings’ love life and its woes are of an interesting nature, let alone crazy when taken into consideration and contributing towards understanding his persona better through his interactions with the two women that hold that spot. There’s the girl in the neighbourhood, Helen whose father plays an iconic role in Darwin’s career; and his one-time tutor, Dominique who leaves the young man awe-stricken after their first encounter. These two add the element of romance as much as they do the drama, tragedies, and heartbreaks. Darwin’s calm mind and seemingly indifferent/unbothered nature are shaken by these individuals in their own respective ways. See, besides Luther being the one of deceit, it seems most of the people here are deceitful in some way, somehow according to their situations- haunted by their respective devils, or holding dark secrets that are eventually unravelled as it goes. Therefore, that keyword in the book’s title connotes the term’s reach when exploring these interesting individuals.

Other scenes in the plot have to do with corruption and match-fixing, and the downward spiral of Luther’s sporting career. On the other hand, we catch a glimpse of the capitalistic conspiracies pertaining to medicine in the form of the startling discoveries Darwin is exposed to during his time studying at the tertiary institution. Then, things suddenly switch to a Crime story in the form of Mrs Thomas’ daughter disappears and are found murdered. Laszlo spearheads the investigation as a private detective, being a former cop. From this point on, things are nearing towards interesting extremes, suspicions, and unexpected discoveries when the case is solved.

I liked how intelligent and well thought of the storyline is, and the whole narrative is portrayed with vividness and depth into the character personalities. With all honesty, I can think of nothing distasteful in it, personally. Maybe, someone, the next reader might find the story scattered but, I find it sticking to the plot with a fluid versatility.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars - After completing the book it came as no wonder as to why the book was nominated twice, consecutively for the William Faulkner-William Wisdom Creative Writing Competition. It is a mature and sophisticated read, and I’d recommend it to especially young adults as they begin to explore their adulthood.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Tsheola Asavela's review? Post a comment saying so!
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your positive review of this book. I can tell that you enjoyed it very much. Nice job.
Tsheola Asavela

Hi kdstrack,

Thanks also for taking the time to read my write-up, and I am humbled that you like it. As for the book, I had quite a blast reading it, it's just my kinda taste.

I trust all is good over your side of the world, you are the first Bolivian I've ever communicated with, lol!

Peace.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Hi there, what I enjoy about this review (and what draws me into potentially reading the book next) us your description of the characters and how the author himself moves them through a suspenseful plot. Very intriguing. Thanks for this recommendation, appreciate reading it :)
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Tsheola Asavela wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 20:12 Hi kdstrack,

Thanks also for taking the time to read my write-up, and I am humbled that you like it. As for the book, I had quite a blast reading it, it's just my kinda taste.

I trust all is good over your side of the world, you are the first Bolivian I've ever communicated with, lol!

Peace.
Ha! I think you are the first person from South Africa that has written to me! Funny place to meet! Glad you liked the book. I enjoyed your writing. It is always an effort to write these reviews, so I appreciate the effort others make to put their reviews out there. Hope to read more from you. (From La Paz, where we walk on the clouds :D )
Tsheola Asavela

Damn, dude! I totally agree with thee, and it's some crazy sh*t, hahaha!

You will get to read more from me in due time but for now, I will also make time to read your work. I appreciate your liking for my writing, word. Besides reviewing books, I write other reviews as well and about a few other things so, I just try to take it easy without pressure. Here's my LinkedIn profile which strictly contains my published work to date: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tsheolaasavela

What's your name though? It's an honour (no spelling error, I use U.K/S.A English, lol!) to meet you... and I'm from D-Town (Daveyton), the 'Township of Lights' it is known as and hailing straight outta Benoni, the "City of Lakes" we are.

:)
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

hmmm, your review gives me another perspective on this book. Nice review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Tsheola Asavela

Peace Greetings pinklover,

Thanks for the compliment, and I am honoured that you deemed my words worthy of your time and altered perception.

Hey, you also, are the first person from the Philippines I've ever communicated with, haha! Word.

Peace.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Thank you for a clear prospective and viewpoint with mild-grade spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”