Review by inaramid -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Review by inaramid -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by inaramid »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Magus Tor’s My Ladybird Story is a tender, moving, and optimistic tale of a young boy’s struggles to make sense of who he is and who he wants to be. The book depicts the experiences and difficulties of a person undergoing a crisis in identity, particularly gender identity, but more than just being another LGBTQ+ story or a coming-out story, My Ladybird Story takes an introspective look at the gender issue amidst the intricacies of growing up and falling in love.

All his life, John Bird has never felt at home with himself. Awkward, effeminate, and mockingly nicknamed “Ladybird” by his peers, John is shunned by his entire high school for being so…different. John spent his teenage years confused about his sexuality and increasingly disgusted with his own body. Things take a turn for the better when he meets Aureus Conner, a lovely and spirited transfer student who slowly breaks through his barriers and wrenches him out of his isolation. Aureus becomes John’s confidante and comrade-at-arms all through the pettiness of high school, the bleakness of college, and the uncertainties of life beyond.

Still, John keeps the “real him” hidden from everyone, even from Aureus. When things spiral out of control and he is forced to bare his true self for all the world to see, the loyalty and love of his parents, his brother, and especially Aureus, are all put to the test. If John chooses the path that will make him happy, will it also cost him his best friend and his family?

My Ladybird Story has generally been a pleasure to read. The narrative flows easily, with insightful observations interspersed amid mundane scenes of the characters’ interactions at home, at school, and other places in between. The book just draws you in and immerses you in John’s psyche, making you one with his confusion, his internal conflict, and eventually, his self-discovery and self-acceptance. As we follow John and Aureus at different stages of their lives, we revel in their joys and successes, witness their pains and disappointments, and feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction that, at the end of a rough journey, they both got the ending they deserved.

While the book did so well in terms of character development, the pacing of the story may be a little too slow for some readers. The overarching question that the story aimed to answer could be way past the comfort level of some readers and could result to a weird and awkward reading experience. From the technical side of things, there were also several typographical errors in the text that need to be addressed. Despite all these, I would still recommend My Ladybird Story for its positive message and optimistic view of people as a whole.

My Ladybird Story is a coming-of-age story. It is a love story. But at its core, it is a story about the innate goodness of people. It is a story that teaches you to believe in people. It is a story that tells you that at your worst and darkest moments, the people who love you will come through for you if you’d just give them a chance.

If it were purely based on the story, I would have rated this book 4 stars, but as it still needs some improvement in terms of the editing, I give My Ladybird Story a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's nice to see a book do well with character development, and It does sounds like the book has a sweet message. Too bad about the editing issues, but I'm glad that the story was enjoyable regardless. Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

hsimone wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 03:29 It's nice to see a book do well with character development, and It does sounds like the book has a sweet message. Too bad about the editing issues, but I'm glad that the story was enjoyable regardless. Thank you for the insightful review!
A sweet message indeed. I was glad I stumbled across this one. Thanks for dropping by.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read this book and I rated it the same as you. It was really interesting and I had thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Great Review! 🎊
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's always sad when the editing isn't quite up to par. I'm glad about the character development, but I think it might be too slow for me. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”