Review by Lorraine Mogotho -- Who Told You That You Were...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine Mogotho
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-mogotho.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Lorraine Mogotho -- Who Told You That You Were...

Post by Lorraine Mogotho »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked is a Christian non-fiction book by William E. Combs that aims to talk about what actually transpired in the Garden of Eden from the moment Eve ate the forbidden fruit to when Christ died on the cross for us.

The book explains the timeline of events in graphic detail, with “stories” from the writer’s imagination sprinkled here and there to further the reader’s understanding of the biblical text.

While initially the author promises to give us a “refreshing examination of the garden of Eden” the book covers a wider range of topics than that, reaching from the first book of the Bible, Genesis, to the books of the New Testament up to and beyond The Chronicles of the Corinthians. However the author does (finally, after many twists and turns) give one a whole new perspective on Adam and Eve’s disobedience and their punishments.

Who Told You That You Were Naked is a good read, but is really confusing at times because of the way the writer’s explanations, the quotes, the Bible extracts and the rest of the story are all jumbled up together. I would like to state that a bit of effort was employed to separate the above, but it is simply not enough as I had to go back multiple times during my reading of the book in order to make sure I was on the right track. I propose a very simple solution to this: Use more distinguishable text layout formats such as textboxes and clearly different text fonts. The headings and subheadings could also use a little bolding, underlining and/or capitalization in order to help make the book navigable.

Otherwise, the book is well written and the author displays an in-depth knowledge of his subject. The book is also professionally edited and I found no grammatical and spelling errors at all! Commendable indeed.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because it is a real eye-opener and does show some aspect of the scripture that many have overlooked when reading Genesis and the other books of the bible in relation to this topic. After reading this book one will feel more enlightened on the subject of sin and how it came to be in us, and how God sanctified us. However, I would only recommend it to readers who are well versed in Christianity and the Bible, as it was aimed at people who already have a background in the aforementioned fields. Otherwise the inexperienced reader will find himself lost and in utter confusion as to what is happening.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lorraine Mogotho's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for your honest words about this book. It would be difficult for many to find any spiritual insights if the writing is confusing. I also liked your suggestions about how the book could have been formatted differently. Nice job.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

You have recommended the book to the right group. It is only my hope that they take heed to your call. It is not easy to write about the fall of man. I like the way William Combs wrote this book. I hope you remember that the idea first came out of a sermon during those days he was ministering.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Lorraine Mogotho
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-mogotho.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Lorraine Mogotho »

Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”