Review by BrendaBoo -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BrendaBoo
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendaboo.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by BrendaBoo -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by BrendaBoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book I reviewed was a non-fiction book titled Who Told You that You were Naked? by William Combs. The author opens with a description of being a young boy in Alaska. His family made an outside toilet with individual toilet paper holders and he needed a flashlight at night to get there and outmaneuver the animals.

The author outlines how Adam was lonely in God’s garden and was given oversight of it all with a helpmate he called woman and that God had made for him. Woman came across “the serpent” in the tree of knowledge of good and evil who convinced her that Adam misspoke God’s intent of not to eat from the tree. She did. Adam then later did. And God found out and put forth his declarations. He guides us that we were “undeveloped” and wanted to be like God in the most complimentary of ways.

Sin wasn’t introduced until later as God steered Cain and Abel with their sacrifices and personal appropriateness. The author expresses the Bible’s recounting of a family of carpenters injured and counselled by Jesus that healing may occur with faith, but that faith was the goal point. We are also blessed with renewed life through the Spirit and water by Jesus Christ. This chrysalis to butterfly description is used, and I have used it myself. We are also led to learn how to walk with God and in peace. We are shown how to “turn on the light” and not to work so much on trying to “drive the darkness out” when dealing with the Satan. We also receive God’s rest as we follow and believe. We are beckoned to deny self and let God rule.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think it is far above average; therefore, better than 2 stars. However, the flow of the material, while well covered, is a little disjointed so I didn’t give it 4 stars. I think this book would cover the traditional religious audience as it is broad in its overview yet a quick read. And I also think it would appeal to the novices who are looking for a good grasp and narrative of the Bible’s description of man’s plight and hope.

The author outlines man’s fall from grace in the garden of Eden and the overall hope that we have that Jesus brings us. Mr. Combs gives quite a few scriptures and explains them well. He broadened my depth of understanding and I enjoyed reading his book. He is a very good teacher. I found myself often thinking some of the same things.

He chose to show how the Bible, its teachings, and pastoring can guide us in “life’s” understanding with Jesus. There were stories and verses that made his points about nakedness and the battles in the here and now. I generally agreed with him. We draw from our own experiences, and while his were good, mine are different. My opinions weren’t altered much but my eyes were more open with his idea (of discipleship) and “turning on the light”. Overall, his presentation of complete knowledge as not being our necessity but instead it is the faith with the water and the Spirit that should guide us.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BrendaBoo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for a great review. It's interesting how you pointed the fact that his family had an outside toilet when he was young. He obviously has seen many changes in his life and also then in his spiritual life. Great insight! Also enjoyed y our closing comments. Nice job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”