Review by bruin -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
2017 Reading Goal: 20
Goal Completion: 30

Review by bruin -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by bruin » 02 Dec 2017, 02:35

[Following is a volunteer review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger is a delightful children’s book. Farmer Beau and his wife noticed a litter of kittens on their farm. The would spend time observing the kittens play and it made them feel happy. They noticed that the kittens would leave one by one as they got older. Before all of them left, they adopted one and made a home for her on their farm. Soon after, other animals move in and you learn what makes this a unique farm.

The lovely illustration of animals on the cover first grabbed my attention because giraffes are my favorite animals. I was interested to know more about what this book is about because it appeared to be a charming story that I could add to my children’s library. I enjoy reading aloud to my children and this book was the perfect length for them listen to in one sitting. The flow of this story was engaging to them. The author does a great job at telling this fictional story, leaving room for you to use your imagination and wonder what might happen next. I was entertained by the dialogue between the animals. I assumed that the entire story would be told through the farmer’s point of view and did not expect the dialogue between the animals. This made it even more fun to read.

The illustrations throughout the book highlighted the key moments of the story. They complemented the feelings expressed between the characters, bringing them to life. This story is more than about a farmer and his animals. It also influences kindness and inspires you to have an open mind about others who are different from you.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was well written and a fun book that I thoroughly enjoyed reading to my children. The book contains 8 pages, some pages were completely filled with text, but it is not too long or too short for children to enjoy.

I would recommend this book to read aloud to toddlers and preschoolers. They would be engaged by the illustrations throughout the book and by the dialogues between the different animals. I think that this is a good book about life lessons that could influence kids to make good choices. This would also be a good book for early readers between the ages of 5-7. The reading level is not too difficult for that age group, but might be lengthy for the younger ages to read by themselves. Overall, I think that this age range would be most influenced by the moral that was being taught through this fun and creative story. My older children could relate to some of the situations that the animals were in because they have experienced it in one way or another at their ages. They enjoyed the story and agreed that this would be good for younger kids who are starting school. I finished reading this story with a warm and pleasant feeling about friendship, kindness, and acceptance. I was also pleasantly surprised when the author reveals how she was inspired to write this fictional tale. That made me appreciate the story even more.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”