Review by Rosemary Wright -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Review by Rosemary Wright -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit is a fiction novel of 316 pages. The theme of the novel centers on love and relationships and the desperate things some people do to get fulfilments, which later produce negative and unpleasant results in their lives.

Darwin Hastings, an orphaned teenage boy has to leave his guardian, his moody windowed aunt, who lost her lower left leg to diabetes and has to be transfered to a nursing facility for assisted living. He is going to stay with a new guardian, his cousin, Luther Pinnelli, who is a famous quarterback.

In the plane from Pittsburgh to New York, Darwin meets Dr Adrian Malverne, an orthopedist, who later plays a great role in his path to success.

Luther is the worst guardian any kid could have. Darwin dreams of living a very comfortable life in the mansion of a rich footballer relative, although he is entitled to some monetary allowances until he was of age, to control his inheritance from his late parents. Darwin is disappointed when Luther tells him, he won't get any allowance, that he will have to make it on his own.

Darwin starts earning some bucks for his personal expenses and private studies tutorship by running errands for Luther, washing cars, taking care of schedules, paying bills and later becomes a back - up driver and monitoring Luther's poker matches with friends.

With the help and mentorship of Dr Malverne, Darwin gains admission into medical school and because of Darwin's hardwork, determination and dedication, he becomes a rich and successful young man. He develops a Scrabble game App because of Granny's love for Scrabble game and the App becomes a success and yields much profit.

Darwin gets married to Helen, one of Dr. Malverne's daughters but the marriage is unsuccessful and it leads to a divorce.

Luther, who is arrogant and violent, gets suspended from playing football games because of his alleged use of performance enhancement drugs. He is later accused of killing Mrs Thomas's daughter, who, he has been dating while being married to Sweeney, a star singer, he has never seemed to appreciate. Luther is later let off the hook when it is discovered that Betsy has been accidentally killed by her swimming coach.

What I like most about this book, is the way William Coles developed the characters. I could easily relate with every character and each character was developed with uniqueness. The illustrations in the book made it more attractive to read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because though it has a fast - paced plot, no intriguing events in the beginning or middle of the book. Actions and mystery were introduced at the later part, which is still okay. There were a few typos, name mix - up, such as " You're opinion is good enough " instead of " Your opinion is good enough " in page 156 and using "Bonita Thompson" instead of "Bonita Thomas" in page 211.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves reading fiction books of the romance, crime and mystery genres.

Guardian of Deceit was a finalist in both the 2011 and 2012 William Faulkner - William Wisdom creative writing competition.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stermy4u
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stermy4u »

On point. It is realy cool
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

The spoiler alerts are on point. But, I would have preferred to not know, until I read the full story.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

ValBookReviews wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 19:57 The spoiler alerts are on point. But, I would have preferred to not know, until I read the full story.
Sorry about that. Actually, this was my first review. A novice's work. You can imagine that! I hope you read my recent reviews. Thanks for stopping by. ☺
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:

No problem! I can imagine! Congratulations on your first review and I'll certainly check out your recent work.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

ValBookReviews wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:18 No problem! I can imagine! Congratulations on your first review and I'll certainly check out your recent work.
Hi, thank you! :tiphat:
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Wright wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 00:57
ValBookReviews wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:18 No problem! I can imagine! Congratulations on your first review and I'll certainly check out your recent work.
Hi, thank you! :tiphat:
Hello! Indeed! :tiphat:
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I honestly hated this book. I didn't really find anything relate-able or likable about any of the characters. I'm struggling to finish it and I'm surprised on how many rave reviews this is getting. The only thing I can find to applaud him so far is the use of 'all right' instead of alright and some of the themes of this book have turned my stomach. I know that sounds harsh, but this is one of the hardest books I've had to work through so far.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”