Review by Anjum -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Review by Anjum -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Anjum »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens is one of many books from the Mary Jane Morris Mystery series. It starts with Mary Jane celebrating Halloween with her roommate Sally when she gets a phone call from her ex-partner David McHale, who has got himself in a big trouble. Sensing that something bad is about to happen, she rushes to save him in her Rover and almost gets killed by a train in the process. When she reaches her destination, she finds him already dead. The police conclude that it was a suicide, but knowing her ex-partner very well she starts to look for clues that he might have left behind for her.

The clues lead her to a group of people who are making sinister plans to gain huge amounts of money by deceiving thousands of homeless veterans. Now, Mary Jane is on a mission to put these people behind the bars with the help of her trusted friends. She is willing to put her own life at risk in order to bring justice to her ex-partner Davy and thousands of veterans.

The book is written from Mary Jane’s perspective. She is a brave, middle-aged, unmarried woman who started her career as a lawyer, but later turned into a private investigator after meeting David McHale. She is passionate about history and loves old stuff. She also loves good wine, single-malt Scotch, and gardening. Her great sense of humor, courage, and determination make most of her character.

At one point, Mary Jane will take you to breathtaking adventures and at another point, she will give you a peaceful time kayaking. Her great sense of humor in the middle of life-threatening situations will make you burst out laughing.

The author has done a great job in describing the scenes and bringing plot twists throughout the book. Although there were a few typos here and there, they do not interrupt the flow of the story. I really loved the development of various characters throughout the book. The book also deals with problems like gender bias and corruption in the society. It even has some really good fighting scenes for action lovers and a bit of romance for romance lovers.

The book is really fun to read, and therefore, I give it 4 out of 4 stars despite the minor editing errors. I recommend this book to anyone who loves reading crime and mystery genre. The book is written in a simple language and is devoid of unpleasant scenes, so it is also suitable for YA readers.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anjum's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I'm glad to hear about another heroine; I love reading about strong women characters who also know how to laugh and have fun. Mary Jane reminds me of one of my favorite PI's, Kinsey Millhone created by Sue Grafton.

Thanks for a lovely review, Anjum!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It seems this book has a little bit of fun for different kinds of readers. Suspense, action, romance, how nice! Although it needs another round of editing, I'm glad you could enjoy this one. Thanks for the review!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love hearing that the main female lead is a strong and brave woman. A mix between "breathtaking adventures" and "peaceful time kayaking"? Sounds like a great adventure and one that'll keep you reading! Not sure if it's for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I also enjoy a good, strong female protagonist. This sounds like a great story, and you did a good job with the review. I haven't read this one yet, but I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Your review is interesting. A woman PI is refreshing to read after much doses of macho stuff from manly heroes and detectives. Detective stories allure us, readers when written in such a way that it challenges our intelligence.
We may make guesses and compare the outcome of the story.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very nice review. Your encouraging description makes others want to read this book. I like your description of Mary Jane. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”