Review by Hildah Mose -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Hildah Mose -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Hildah Mose »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches, by H. M. Irwing, is an adult romance novel about love, pain and heartaches.

Heartaches is about the life of Anna Walters Simons and Rafael Luis Brown who have passed through the worst possible pain in life. They each question the meaning of life considering the darkness and haunting memories of their painful experiences.

Anna lost her father at a tender age, and lived with Jane Walters Simons (Anna’ mother) and her stepfather (John Simons). In school Anna was constantly bullied by other students but it was worse at home where she has to endure seeing her mother being battered and abused by her stepfather. John is later killed by his son Brian Simons who is also Anna’s stepbrother, who only adds to their misery. Her problems in school seem to be over when she finds a boyfriend (Matt Preston) who is compassionate and caring and her savior from the bullies. Little did she knew that Matt Preston would be the cause of her worst heartache and more misery.

Rafael Luis Brown (Rafe) is a soldier. He has no one except his only surviving relative Aunt Bella and his dog Bruno. Rafe had his own share of a painful past. His real father wanted nothing to do with him. He lived with his stepfather (James Brown) who loved him but who changed years later to an abusive father who later killed his mother and constantly battered him. He was rescued by his aunt Bella and he later decided to join the army. He needed to make something out of his life but he ended up going through the worst possible pain, turning his life to a nightmare.

Anna and Rafe find solace from the most unexpected angles, in each other. They fall in love and start the journey to renew their life.
I like Romance books in which both the female and male protagonist are strong willed, most especially the female. And this book did not disappoint on the part of Rafe. He is loving, loyal and when he has an issue with Anna he talks gently with her but always makes his point. But on the other hand, I could not connect with Anna. Her lack of good judgment on major issues is disappointing.

The book has very few grammatical errors. For instance, “I am not leaving you…….like a coward,” I said adamantly. Instead the author should have written, she said adamantly, since the story is written in a third person’s point of view and one or two others of the same kind.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting and the simple English used is perfect. I would recommend heartaches to adults only because of the mature content used and those who enjoy seeing how people get to redeem themselves. Another issue is abuse and violence; the details can be very graphic at times making me cringe. I therefore won’t recommend it for the faint hearted.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hildah Mose's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Interesting review. It sounds like Irwing might have gotten a better editor since the release of the book I read. I just reviewed of Curve Couture, and there were a lot of errors throughout the book.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks CommMayo for your honesty. Though typos aside, the book is a good read. You can try it sometime
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I wasn't as kind with my review for Irwing's other book, Curve Couture. I would love it if you could take a look at it (link below) and leave a comment with your thoughts.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

I sure will. Thanks
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html

Post by readandsmile »

Nice review. I am so sad with the story because it is common nowadays. One time, a lady shared to me about her burden as buttered wife. Hoping for all men will read that book.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for your honesty. and I agree that that all men should read too and women too. Thank you for stopping by.
Vincentsobera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Vincentsobera »

An exemplay reveiw,the plot is placed in understandable way.Thanks
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks Vincent for stopping by.
Tabby moraa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tabby moraa »

Thanks for your honesty. Great review. I am looking forward to reading this book.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

nice review. I don't like to read a story like this because I will remember something.Anyway, thanks for your honest review. do check mine as well.thanks
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Thanks for passing by pinklover. I will look out for yours.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have loved your review. I find the adult romance stories too much for me due to strong sexual scenes exhibited. However, it takes an honest review like this to understand the plot of the book.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:

Post by Hildah Mose »

Paul78 wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 22:19 I have loved your review. I find the adult romance stories too much for me due to strong sexual scenes exhibited. However, it takes an honest review like this to understand the plot of the book.
Thanks for passing by. I am glad you loved it.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Less is certainly more as pertains to the author's use of language which smoothly and rapidly pushes the text forward.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”