Review by kyliech -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kyliech
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyliech.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by kyliech -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kyliech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell is a fiction book written by William H. Coles, is published on 22 August 2015. The story is about power, guilt, revenge, betrayal, redemption, love and friendship.

Hiram McDowell is a successful surgeon, who is known for his charitable work as he ran a medical foundation in Nepal and for his adventures during mountain climbing. He is married to Carole his third wife a widower who has two daughters Candice and Tasha whereas Hiram had three children Sophie, Ann and Billie from his two previous marriages. Hiram's quest for money and power leads him to be an absentee parent and husband.

The story is told through Hiram an ambitious surgeon who led as Regent to the board of directors at the college of surgeons and using his power of manipulation he is later appointed as president. This left many of his co-workers feeling betrayed and to seek revenge. There is a twist in the story when Hiram is nominated by the President as Secretary of Health and Human Services for the United States. This attracts a network station and reporter Paige Sterling is sent to cover a television special on his accomplishments and accidentally discovered a possible fraud and corruption.

The book covers the rise and fall of Hiram, a man who once thought he controlled everything around him. This is a life lesson that I was able to relate to, when difficult times in his life changed him. This can happen to anyone and this is why it is important to be truthful in everything we do.

I commend the author for creating an interesting character of Hiram, this left me confused because there were times I hated his arrogance, lack of remorse and his persona. Then there were times I put myself in his shoes and wished every one could give him a second chance.

Though I feel the ending could have been a bit more intriguing. I have no hesitation to rate the book 3 out of 4 stars because the author's writing style makes it easy to read and enjoy the book. However I would have given an extra star but I noticed that the author did not state how much time had passed between scenarios, this left me guessing. In addition the first part of the book had so many characters that it was difficult to identify the main character, this made the story less interesting but I am happy to have continued reading the book.

I will definitely recommend the book and fans of crime, mystery and fiction will find the read interesting.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like kyliech's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. I agree that Hiram's main objective was to make money. I liked how you pointed out that difficult times in his life changed him. Nice work. Thanks.
kyliech
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyliech.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by kyliech »

Welcome and thanks too, I hope you enjoyed the read .

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”