Review by cattlady -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cattlady
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cattlady.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Review by cattlady -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by cattlady »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In reading The 11:05 Murders, by Brian O’Hare, I had the wonderful experience of encountering a book which was cleanly written, in a clear and entertaining style, with an most excellently conceived plot and beautifully drawn characters. Ok, you guessed it. I loved this book!

The story opens with the relation of a brutal (yet not graphically detailed) sexual assault on a female college student told largely through the eyes of the antagonist - an event that becomes important later in the main story, but which is not explained or referred to for about the first third of the book. The action then moves to modern day Dublin, Ireland and the introduction of a newly minted detective to the squad run by Detective Chief Inspector Jim (James) Sheehan. The new character is Denise Stewart, promoted to the rank of detective and moved from another precinct after her work in uncovering corruption among her superiors and being brave enough to act on it. The only female in the squad, she is welcomed by all, especially by Sheehan, who seems to see potential in her and works to help her develop into an effective investigator. Of course, from the start, the reader sees the beginning of what may be a future office romance between Stewart and one of her coworkers, but this does not dominate the story and, in fact, helps to develop the two characters.

The crimes with which Sheehan, Stewart and the squad must deal begin with a grisly murder showing definite psychosexual overtones. The victim, upon research by the squad, proves to be a man who very few people like and whose livelihood, however legal, makes him a good potential target for people affected by his work. Stewart, who has attracted the attention of a prosecuting attorney, (which she tries repeatedly not to encourage), does yeoman’s work in finding clues and motives for the murder, along with the next one, which fits the same pattern. The recounting of the investigation is brisk and entertaining, not allowing itself to get bogged down in too much (or too little) detail, and the reader is made privy to all the clues as the characters discover them.

In the end, after several unexpected twists and surprises, along with the mental gymnastics and uncanny abilities of Sheehan to put together pieces of disparate information to arrive at a solution, the murderer is caught and the whole story is unveiled. What is makes all of this so interesting is the fact that this is one of those wonderful stories where nothing is withheld from the reader that is needed to solve the crime. All the facts are presented and visible, yet it takes the Sherlock Holmes-like mind of Sheehan to actually put it all together.

As mentioned above, the book is cleanly written, with no easily discovered typos of any kind. What catches the eye, at least of an American reader such as myself, is the use of several British spellings - such as tyre for tire. These are not true errors and are infrequent enough that an uninformed reader (which has not encountered such before) should have no problem with understanding the usage.

I look forward to reading more by this author and, in fact, am going to see about getting a copy of the first book he wrote about Sheehan. This is a wonderful character that I hope to get the chance to see a lot more of in future books. This book is a definite 4 out of 4 stars and well worth the time of anyone interested in the genre.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like cattlady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I like how you express how much you liked the book and how it held your interest. I did think some of the scenes were a bit graphic. Nice job. Thanks.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love novels full of suspense, mystery and killings. would like to read this one too
Great review !!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”