Review by CommMayo -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CommMayo
Currently Reading: The Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY
2017 Reading Goal: 6
Goal Completion: 200

Review by CommMayo -- Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post by CommMayo » 25 Nov 2017, 16:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Curve Couture by H. M. Irwing starts with Claire Williams royally messing up! Claire has always stuck out in the cutthroat world of modeling, and being a plus sized woman surrounded by svelte and hunky supermodels day in and day out has done a number on her self-confidence. What started as commiseration and comfort with her sister’s fiancé, Colin, swiftly became her first time going all the way. Claire is consumed by guilt for betraying her sister, Janice. The problem is that Janice, a well-known supermodel, is also Claire’s one and only client. Upon deciding that she can no longer represent her sister after her ultimate betrayal, Claire approaches retired male supermodel turned agent, Erin Robertson. She begs Erin to take on Janice as a client; however, Erin refuses and shocks Claire by asking to sign her on as a plus sized model instead.

What follows is a swift and awkwardly produced romance between Claire and Erin. Claire, who has never attracted male attention until her slip up with Colin, has suddenly become desirable in the eyes of all single, straight men who cross her path. Erin is no different as he works to mold Claire into a successful plus sized model, complete with strict diet, exercise routine, and a professional styling staff. Their professional relationship rapidly turns into more as the reader follows the progression of Claire’s career and her cantankerous relationship with her sister/client.

Curve Couture had a really promising premise of a plus sized woman finding modeling success and love, but the execution fell about as flat as the characters portrayed in the novel. Claire’s disposition changes quickly enough to give the reader whiplash as she rapidly transitions between happy, furious, contrite, and dejected in the span of two pages. Claire is constantly becoming irrationally enraged with people and situations, only to dissolve into a crying mess at the slightest provocation. Erin’s character is portrayed as more of a sexual predator who won’t take no as an answer than as an attractive love interest. The couple’s relationship just sets the stage for a mixed up jumble of poorly written sexual situations, peppered with weak plotlines involving other poorly developed characters.

This novel has situations that could be a trigger for anyone who has been in an abusive relationship. At one point in the book, while Claire is waiting for Erin to find the valet in front of a busy night club, she is assaulted by an unknown character. Erin comes to her rescue and berates her with, “I leave you alone for two minutes, and you get yourself almost raped.” After blaming Claire for being assaulted, Erin angrily drags her back to his apartment for the sole purpose of sex. Claire seems to be okay with Erin’s unpredictable and irrational temper, thus allowing him to treat her more like a whore than a girlfriend.

I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars. Irwing seems to be trying to pack too much into a simple story. Midway through the book, the author concocts a prescription drug problem for Erin that starts and resolves within the span of three pages, never to be mentioned again. It makes the reader wonder what the point was for even including it. The character development and plot do very little to make the reader identify with, or even like, the two main characters. While it does appear that this book has been professionally edited, the reader will notice an abundance of poorly used ellipses, wrong word choices (stood instead of stand, attire instead of entire), and plot inconsistencies centered around time and dates. I would not recommend this book to a friend, but fans of Irwing’s other work might find something to like in this novel.

Curve Couture
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Miriam Molina
Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: "450 East" by David R. VerValin
2017 Reading Goal: 36
Goal Completion: 158

Post by Miriam Molina » 27 Nov 2017, 13:05

Based on the rating you gave, I would bet that your review is more entertaining than the book. Other reviewers found the story a lovely foray into the exciting world of fashion. I myself don't really read romances anymore.

Paul78
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading: Sister Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
2017 Reading Goal: 8
Goal Completion: 50

Post by Paul78 » 28 Nov 2017, 03:15

I have come to like your reviews. The things you point out as weaknesses in a book would be what as a person I would be subconsciously uncomfortable but sometimes quite unable to point out clearly.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

CommMayo

Post by CommMayo » 28 Nov 2017, 09:45

Thank you for taking a look at my review Miriam and Paul. You comments are both very complimentary...thank you.

CommMayo

Post by CommMayo » 29 Nov 2017, 09:28

Miriam Molina wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 13:05
Based on the rating you gave, I would bet that your review is more entertaining than the book. Other reviewers found the story a lovely foray into the exciting world of fashion. I myself don't really read romances anymore.
This book is almost enough to totally turn me off "romances" for quite a while.

Hildah Mose
Currently Reading: Temptation trials
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by Hildah Mose » 03 Dec 2017, 08:23

Whaaaat! Thanks for your honest review. I agree with you on the author's poorly written sexual scenes, that's in comparison to Irwing's book heartaches. Great review.

readandsmile
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
2017 Reading Goal: 0

Post by readandsmile » 03 Dec 2017, 11:02

Nice review but the book triggers on abusive relationship according to your review. I am sad on that part because I heard it many times among my friends.
READING is a healing.
=read and smile=

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: ""The One"" by Ira Kalina
2017 Reading Goal: 100
Goal Completion: 101

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Dec 2017, 09:45

Wow! I don't think I like the treatment of the main character in her relationship. This is a good review, though. It gives me an idea of what the book is about, and the fact that I don't think it's for me.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

CommMayo

Post by CommMayo » 07 Dec 2017, 23:00

kandscreeley wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 09:45
Wow! I don't think I like the treatment of the main character in her relationship. This is a good review, though. It gives me an idea of what the book is about, and the fact that I don't think it's for me.
Thank you for your comments. I don't think the author was going for abusive. I think she just missed the mark on trying to depict a dominant man. Really missed the mark...

Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 18

Post by Whitney Marchelle » 08 Dec 2017, 01:22

Great and honest review. I agree that the dominant aspect she was trying to convey with the leading man made the leading lady seem inferior or weak, which is never good.

Dolor
Favorite Author: Eliot H. Robinson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: 1400697484
2017 Reading Goal: 5
Goal Completion: 160
fav_author_id: 105359

Post by Dolor » 08 Dec 2017, 01:31

I thought the book is an awesome read based on the first two paragraphs of your review.

This is a rude one:
, “I leave you alone for two minutes, and you get yourself almost raped.” After blaming Claire for being assaulted, Erin angrily drags her back to his apartment for the sole purpose of sex. Claire seems to be okay with Erin’s unpredictable and irrational temper, thus allowing him to treat her more like a whore than a girlfriend.

I don't allow someone to treat me like that ⬆️. It's either, "Get lost or I'll walk away!" 😉

Nenye progress
Currently Reading: Curve Coutour
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-progress.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: 1400699169
2017 Reading Goal: 50
Goal Completion: 4

Post by Nenye progress » 09 Dec 2017, 17:35

Thanks for the review. Am yet to put down mine. That was an honest review.
Get inspiration and strength from your book

inaramid
Currently Reading: The Siege
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
2017 Reading Goal: 10
Goal Completion: 80

Post by inaramid » 10 Dec 2017, 13:31

Uh, Mary Sue alert? It seems like there are too many cliches in the book, but not the type that I'd enjoy. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”