Review by BoyLazy -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by BoyLazy -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by BoyLazy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor is a book from the Romance genre. It highlights the growing problems of a Transsexual. This story is a good representation of the LGBT community in books. Magus Tor is a dreamer from Singapore. For this book he had won a Bronze Medal in Moonbeam Children's Book Award 2016: Young Adult, mature issues. I should say that he deserved more than a bronze medal for this one.

John Bird, the lead character in this book has always been bullied in his school days. He does not like himself as he is not able to fulfil his father’s expectation of becoming the all American boy. John, later to be identified as Joyce is not like the other boys and likes to keep his secrets concealed away in a box in his room. This book shows the life of John when a lively friend crashes into his life and he realizes that true friends always love and support us in any situation. He has to evolve into an individual that he is destined to be.

I have never come across anything so heart touching, lovely and moving as this book. The cross-dressing part of this story reminded me of a movie ‘Ed Wood’ featuring ‘Johnny Depp’. This book would be helpful in spreading public awareness about being a transgender. The specialty of this story is that it handles the subject in a positive manner. It was nice to find some hope and inner peace as the story progressed.

We get the right guidance on how to handle such situations. Therapy is the best way to understand and get some clarity about our condition. We also get to see true friendship in this story. Good friends could change your life and make it easier to deal with difficulties. I was able to get a clear idea of John’s struggle.

Compared to the first half, I felt the second half was a little dragged. I was a little bored, but the ending made it up. I would have liked it more if it had been kept short. There was no need to repeatedly explain his feelings which were already shared. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. One star reduced just because it was a bit lengthy towards the end. If you are emotional, then you would love this book. It is a soul touching and well-written book.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like BoyLazy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. I agree with you. Although this was a thought provoking story, the second part dragged. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Medha Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Medha Jha »

I enjoyed the brief about this story in this review. I will give it a try :)
Poornima
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by Poornima »

Awesome review.. great brief of the emotions involved. I will read this book for sure..
MammanKabiru
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MammanKabiru »

It was awesome story, it is a past event that touch someone mind.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

OMG! I would take time to read this book. I wonder what John did in this book. 😂

Don't get me wrong. I just find gays so amusing especially when they join Miss Gay competitions. It's like they know everything about beauty enhancement. I like their lively chitchats and movements.
Emiko07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiko07.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Emiko07 »

I agree it was a little bit dragged, but at least the ending was good and contented.
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Fascinating. I reviewed it quite negatively to tell you the truth. Could you check mine out and give me your thoughts on some of the issues I flagged about the book? Everybody seems to have loved this book but I found a lot of flaws in it.
It's strange, I've never disliked a book in my life but since I've started reviewing them on here, it seems I'm rating everything badly. Maybe I'm being pedantic.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like the book handles an important and sensitive subject well.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It sounds like a lovely book. And the title is wonderful. It's touching to see such stories.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”