Review by Companion Adedeji -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Morenikeji Adedeji
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 925">After We Fell</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-companion-adedeji.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Review by Companion Adedeji -- My Trip To Adele

Post by Morenikeji Adedeji »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of My Trip To Adele by R.I Alyaseer and A.I Alyaseer.

This book written by the Alyaseer siblings presents three interwoven stories in synchronization from different worlds. The main characters in the book all have a common bond, which is the love for Adele and her songs. The first story begins with the character Elias, feeling nostalgic about his home-country Morocco; and regretful of his long lost love. It progresses onto the revelation made by the fortune teller in Rome, this revelation triggers Elias' resolve to return to Marrakesh and find his Malika. While in Marrakesh and unable to find Malika, he reminiscences about the old times he has with with her. He eventually gets the lead to her: a promise he halfheartedly makes to her, long ago about meeting at a concert of Adele's. This meeting of Elias and Malika sets their souls free of all attachments. the meeting says: "Nothing lasts forever and change is constant.".

The second story is about a doctor couple based in Las Vegas, trying to salvage their crumbling marriage. Yaser, the husband is an atheist and Mariam the wife is a devout Muslim. They both present the picture of a happy family to the world, but it is really a hellhole within. Yaser feels chained to the monotonous life put in place by his wife, but he sits on the fence about a decision. In this story, the authors take us through the incessant quarrels of the couple; and their attempt to revive an old memory that will bring back the spark to their marriage. It eventually leads to the memory of Yaser's proposal to Mariam with a song of Adele's. It is assumed that the concert at Verona will re-ignite the fire of their love. The couple do not attend the concert but, do a self-reflection on themselves. At the end, Mariam's faith helps her to forgive her husband's atheism, and they accept each other.

The last story is about the divorced and independent Nadia in Jordan, a single mother who breaks free from all the accepted norms of a patriarchal society. Nadia's life revolves around her son and his needs. The anticipated trip to Verona to attend Adele's concert, signifies a liberation for herself and her son. The trip however is almost but not made, because her ex-husband bans her son from travelling. Nadia compromises her freedom for the happiness of her son. She later comes to realize that the freedom she craves cannot be fully enjoyed, as long as compromises abound.

First thing I will commend about the book is the realistic aspect of it. It deals with certain issues that are commonly experienced. Towards the end, I was expecting a fairy tale ending to Elias and Malika's story, but life is not a fairy tale and the past should remain in the past. Nadia also breaks her resolve to travel without her son. It is a commendable fact that the fight for freedom should not be radical but liberal. The reunion of Yaser and Malik brings the religious theme of this book to light. Yaser questions the faith of his wife, and tries to find an answer to every question. Faith(his dilemma) attracts him to Mariam at first, but also paves the way for his repentance. I like how the main characters often question their actions thoroughly when making decisions. It shows the way of life, how a certain part of our being as humans have doubts.

An endearing aspect of the book, is the use of the lyrics from Adele's songs to relate to what characters are going through. These songs give comfort to the characters saying: 'you are not alone'. It portrays the struggle, love, agony and yearnings of each one of them.

A tiny teeny little detail I do not like is the 'back and forth' of the relationship between Yaser and Mariam. It just feels sort of dragging and moving in a circle to me. I think it could have been wrapped up faster, thought this did not kill the amazing vibe of the book for me.

For me, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It identifies with what everyone or someone close to us can relate to. Issues of divorce, feminism, marriage and its crosses, the life of a single mother, faith, individualistic perception of life, among others are areas of interest to a large population of adults irrespective of gender.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like Companion Adedeji's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. You did a great synopsis of each of the three different relationships. I really like your final sentence with the variety of recommendations. Great job.
Morenikeji Adedeji
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 925">After We Fell</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-companion-adedeji.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Morenikeji Adedeji »

@kdstrack Thank you
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I agree with you Adedeji, the author beautifully discusses the social issues in form of stories. Patches of Adele songs give it a unique place in novels. Your review is great. I have also reviewed this book. Do check out mine.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”