Review by Booklover1606 -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Booklover1606 -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by Booklover1606 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hello my love, by Evy Journey, is a sweet romance with a touch of mystery. It tells the love story of Elise Halverson, a young and fiercely independent law student and Greg Thorpe, a rich and attractive bachelor. The two fall in love but at first keep their feelings to themselves due to Greg being engaged. However Greg eventually realizes that Elise is the one he really loves and the two end up together.

The writing style is very formal, which in my opinion contrasts with the modern setting of the book and leaves little room for humor. In the fist few chapters I also picked up that many times contractions aren't used. For example "I am" is used instead of "I'm". This gave the writing an unnatural feel and made it difficult to read. However this only occurred in  the first part of the book and I didn't pick it up after the halfway mark.

I found the first two chapters of the book difficult to read because it felt repetitive. In these chapters, Elise and Greg's growing friendship is explained form the point of view of both characters. I feel that some details were repeated but I was also confused by the jumps between time. One meeting would be explained in about a paragraph, then suddenly the next paragraph would be a few months later. There is also a two year gap between chapter ten and eleven that I only realized about two pages into the chapter, it would have helped if the chapter started with something like, "Two years later".

I feel that the book doesn't have one large story line but rather a few small ones. There is the love story between Elise and Greg and then the mystery that comes in towards the end of the book. I feel that the ending was quite predictable and that there was not enough conflict to create a very gripping story. Also, when the mystery was finally solved it kind of fell flat and felt insignificant to the book.

Overall I did enjoy the book and would consider reading the next one in the series. I especially love that the story line stretches out over a period of a few years and not just a few weeks or months. Greg and Elise are relatable characters who have a very strong love for each other. I would recommend this for any romance lover over the age of 16 (due to some sexual scenes).

I give this book a rating of 2 out of 4. Although I enjoyed the book, it didn't grip me from the start and the ending was predictable.

Hello, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Booklover1606's review? Post a comment saying so!
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MLove83 »

I was starting to wonder if I had read a different book than some others, with all the 3 and 4 star reviews. I agree with you totally about the mystery; it seemed to be like a few pages from a different story thrown into the last part of this romance.

I also didn't realize two years had passed at first. But then, other chapter titles totally gave away what happens in them, did you notice that?
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Booklover1606 »

MLove83 wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 23:02 I was starting to wonder if I had read a different book than some others, with all the 3 and 4 star reviews. I agree with you totally about the mystery; it seemed to be like a few pages from a different story thrown into the last part of this romance.

I also didn't realize two years had passed at first. But then, other chapter titles totally gave away what happens in them, did you notice that?

I did notice that. The first few chapter titles were names of the characters like "Greg" or "Elise." But later on other the chapter titles are different and basically give away what is about to happen, such as the one titled "Rekindling."
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments. I agree that it is difficult when you can relate to the characters but then the timeline and "jumps" confuse the story. Very interesting review. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”