Review by Clara B -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clara B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clara-b.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Clara B -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Clara B »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I've Met, by Robert White, is best described as an autobiographical, motivational, self-help book. In the book, the author recounts 21 experiences he has with ordinary people while he is searching for a more meaningful and fulfilling life. He explains that, surprisingly, each one of those ordinary people turned out to be an "unexpected guru," and taught him a valuable life lesson. This sets the theme that you never know from where or from whom you may learn a valuable or life-altering lesson. Therefore, you must always be willing and open to "what life is trying to show you" because you never know what you may discover or learn from any individual or any experience.

Robert White grew up in a very small, very poor, mill town. Like all the young men in the town, he was expected to finish high school and go on to work in one of the town's factories. He decided, however, that he wanted more out of life and did not intend to follow the expected path. Despite his humble beginnings, Robert White became the first member of his family to go to, and graduate from, college. After graduating from college, he worked as a teacher for approximately 17 years before becoming a very successful businessman. However, as his business success grew, he became more depressed and unfulfilled personally.

White decided to travel to some of the world's most renowned spiritual retreats and seminars. He also met with many of the world's best-known self-help gurus for advice, support, and guidance. In his search for spiritual happiness and fulfillment, White discovered that, surprisingly, he learned the most inspirational lessons from ordinary people and not from world-renowned gurus. In And Then I Met Margaret, White recounts experiences he had with 21 ordinary people he calls "unexpected gurus" and how those experiences helped him transform his life. He came to realize that the purpose of these gurus is "to help us shatter self-limiting myths that prevent us from fully experiencing our lives."

From these gurus' lessons, White gained valuable insight that helped him transform his life. According to the author, if our hearts and minds open, we are all presented with opportunities to meet "unexpected gurus" throughout our lives. Any ordinary person can turn out to be a guru, such as family members, friends, teachers, students, coworkers, authority figures, and strangers. Each of the 21 ordinary gurus that White wrote about in the book helped him transform his life with their insight and inspiration; however, a young girl named Margaret was the most impactful and influential of all. The young girl's simple question led White to a startling realization about himself that he needed to change, or it would hold him back from truly transforming his life.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book. I also gained some important and insightful information which will likely benefit me in my life's journey. Many motivational books are boring to read since they either contain many pages of technical information, such as research and statistics, or pages of instructions that will presumably "fix" readers' lives if followed. White's book, on the other hand, is formatted in a way that makes it interesting, entertaining, and enjoyable to read. Furthermore, the book contains insightful information that is timeless, relevant, and potentially useful for all readers.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Clara B's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review, Clara. You summarize the book nicely by saying that the author learns that the most inspirational lessons come from ordinary people. Glad you enjoyed it!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I agree the book was written in a comfortable style. I appreciated many aspects of the stories, but didn't end up liking the book quite as much as you did. Please check out my review as well. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038. Thanks!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”