Review by HouseOfAtticus -- The Last City of America

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by HouseOfAtticus -- The Last City of America

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"So if you're still out there, in whispers echoing from better days, I could tell you the story of The Last City of America.”

These words from The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz will stick with me for a while. This is a book that explores the unending possibilities of the scientific revolution. It puts a spin on our own fears and anxieties, and therein lies its beauty. While this book explores the seemingly trite theme of apocalypse, it does so with a new and unique take. The narrative of this story is quite beautiful. The author takes the reader on an exciting but devastating journey, questioning the possibilities that lie ahead.

This book is set in a new United States America, but not the United States of America that you would want to see. It chronicles the tale of scientists who have come up with a virus that affects the general population by affecting their ability to produce.There is a sharp decline in the youth of the country and this heavily affects the country’s productivity and social conditions. Merely seven cities are left in a condition that is a little less than deplorable. Now the people must choose from these cities, but it is clear that they barely have a choice.

Despite the genre, this book seems to have been extensively researched. It has beautiful character development, and the characters come with their own baggage. Their pasts are entwined with the larger narrative, and this adds to the beauty of the novel. It is also interesting that in many ways, this book is character-driven and there is a heavy emphasis on that particular element of the novel. This makes the book a very intense read. It explores a dystopian reality in a from the perspective of the characters.

This novel essentially delineates the Good vs Evil theme in a more or less traditional way, and this might make it a drag sometimes. The author has explored human depravity at its finest and has come up with certain conclusions about humanity. However, the characters are colored in grey, and this makes the reader wonder what good and evil really are.

I felt that this book followed a strong narrative, even though there were certain errors here and there. For this reason, I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. That being said, I strongly suggest this book to everyone who loves Sci-Fi, and even those who don’t.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

You must have enjoyed reading this book. You have shown the destructiveness of mankind when he is hell bent to do what is evil. Thanks for a good review. I will consider reading it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This review has certainly aroused my interest - I have to admit I have a distinct liking for dystopian fiction!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

A very interesting take on the story. I also made a review of this book, and I focused on similarities of the situation to the present happenings now obtaining in our world. Yours has the livelier details. Readers would be more incited to read the book. And an interesting book it really is. More power to you.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”