Review by dauntlesswitch -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dauntlesswitch
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauntlesswitch.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
Reading Device: B01M9IIPZ8

Review by dauntlesswitch -- The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by dauntlesswitch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Brief by Jordan David is the first book in The Magi Charter Series. The series is all about the operations on the North Pole: Santa’s mission every year and the work of the elves. The first book started by introducing Noel Night, a tenacious young elf from the List Department. He was summoned to the daily Elf Brief, which is like a daily meeting with Santa.

I applaud the author by writing such a masterpiece. It brings out Jordan David’s imagination. I used to believe Santa and his elves were real when I was a child. There are a lot of movies that showed how Santa and his elves worked. The author did a wonderful job by showing how the North Pole’s operations are organized. There were different departments that had different jobs. There were the List Department that figured out the naughty and the nice, the Factory where they make the toys and also the Elf Services. Each department has a color code in which the elves wear a hat according to the color assigned to them.

The book showcased one of the most historical events in the North Pole, the arrival of the new Santa. Every 100 years, the current Santa will retire and his powers will be transferred to the new Santa. Samuel Locke, the soon-to-be Santa Nicolas will take over Santa Cristo as the head of the North Pole. Noel Night is assigned to be the new Santa’s assistant. However, something’s been bugging Noel: Where did the elves came from? And where do they go when they retire?

I like how Jordan David described the North Pole and the work being done there. It felt magical and Christmas-y. Now, I’m excited for Christmas. However, this book can be read at any time of the year. It just felt right that I started a month before the holidays. It’s a great read not just for children, but for everyone. I also loved how David named the characters. Everyone at the North Pole had names related to Christmas like Mistletoe Green, White Christmas and Glass Ornament. However, there are times that I get confused because some had similar names. But overall, it was a very enjoyable read.

While I was reading I listed down some of the errors I have encountered. There were some grammatical and typographical errors that made me think twice. Though, some were understandable. Here are some examples:
The other elves new well who Garland was
– new should be changed to knew
Mistletoe faked a smiled
Some of the errors have missing commas. Some errors were accidental for a period was placed mistakenly at the middle of the sentence.

Overall, it was a really great book. I rate The Elf Brief 3 out of 4 stars. The said errors I have found are keeping me from giving it 4 stars. It was a great book but I think it lacks editing and proofreading. I’d recommend this book to people who likes to have a magical read.

The Elf Brief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dauntlesswitch's review? Post a comment saying so!
The music fills me up, quieting all the extra noises in my life, making my heart swell larger and larger until there’s nothing left of me but ears and a soul.
— Erin Watt
Latest Review: "The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David
enjey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141

Post by enjey »

This book sounds interesting! Perfect timing for christmas. Great review!
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

I enjoy your view on the story. I felt the story to be a little empty, but love how you relate it to your childhood.

I would love your view on my first review!
JeriTrice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeritrice.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by JeriTrice »

To be excited, I have to wait a few more months - but the book did make me wish for Christmas to roll around again - and now I want to read the next in the series to see where the series is headed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”