Review by Piyali27 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Piyali27
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piyali27.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Piyali27 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Piyali27 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moving to a new town is itself a completely different experience, but it gives a whole new meaning when you are leaving behind bad memories and experience. You never know what lies ahead, if the new beginning will be a reflection of the past or it will be a road lying full of opportunities and positive experience. You just have to be optimistic about it. Let's say, by Almighty's grace, the new beginning is a fresh start with good experience and wonderful people to support you in the new place and everything is going as usual. But, what if, everything takes a drastic turn and you become the key link, which you are unaware of, for some vicious serial murders, which as fate decides, you are investigating on.

The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare is a murder mystery which revolves around the investigation of very gruesome serial murders by Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his team, which includes the newly transferred Denise Stewart. Denise, who had just been promoted and moved into the town was very well received by her new team, as opposed to her previous one, was eager to devote her time and energy in the new role. James Fitzpatrick, a banker was gruesomely murdered in his own house at precisely 11:05 pm and the murderer left no evidence except for a cufflink. Thus starts the investigation of the murder by Chief Sheehan, along with his team, and with a keen interest of the crown Prosecutor Robert Turner. But, unfortunately, it turned out to be a series of murders. With little to no evidence with them, the team burned the midnight oil to solve the case, which led to revelations of shocking truths and the unraveling of past mysteries.

The plot was good. The way the story unfolds with the twists at certain places was perfect. It actually makes one think of the possibilities and of course, the complete turn of events was really good. I think the mystery of the murderer could have been more secure and well hidden with more twists with the other suspects. The murderer was detectable way before the end of the novel. This was a bit turn off. I think it would have been really good if one keeps guessing until the end. But, overall it was a nice plot.

The characters were fantastic. I liked the portrayal of Denise being a strong and independent woman who holds her ground under all circumstances. Chief Sheehan was amazing as usual with his wit and sharp mind. I felt there could have been more showcasing of the chief's involvement and abilities, given he was the lead. Then there was the alluring mystery about the murderer with lots of theories, which were very well fitted to the circumstances created by the author.

I will rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading the book. It was enthralling until the end despite some of the turn-offs, the mysterious murderer being one of them. The writing and the characters were good. I would recommend it to all thriller and mystery lovers who wouldn't mind a bit of gory description.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Piyali27's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I agree with your opinion about Denise being more of a main character than the Chief. The book really showcased her detective work, feelings and feelings. Good job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”