Review by Job Njoroge -- Searching For Paradise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Job Njoroge -- Searching For Paradise

Post by Job Njoroge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book and at the end felt like it was talking to you or telling a story just like yours? That is what I felt when I read this book.

Searching for paradise by T.L. HUGHES is a historical fiction book set in the United States. The novel explorers and discusses the life of three youngsters who moved to California in search for a better life and dreaming of becoming Hollywood stars only for them to realize that it is just a dream and life is not as easy as we see it. The youngsters then decide to move to Europe to realize their dreams and to search for paradise hence the title “Searching for paradise.”

The novel gives a detailed account of the journey undertaken by the three youngsters namely Mike, Declan and Lucas. Mike who is the main character is used to explain the challenges encountered on the way. This is done using the first person narrative. The author gives a short history of Mike in the middle of the story about how he was brought up which helps the reader understand the kind of person he is. The novel explains the challenges encountered on their journey and the role that friends and family play. The three friends spend the nights in their friends’ places, their families’ homes or on the road. They travel from California to Boston. They however realize that paradise is within them and their families, their friends and all those they had interacted with.

What I loved most is that the book is written in the first person narrative which helped to make a strong connection with the story and the characters in the book. It also helped in my imagination which is important in a story. The book explains the fantasies that many young people have. The book discusses some great themes i.e love, family, friendship, education and money. The book explains that money does not bring paradise but that paradise is within us we just have to embrace it.

What I liked least about the book is that it has a very slow momentum and I found myself lost in the story at times. It also lacks in imagination and does not create suspense or any captivating content in it. The book also does not have much history in it and seems more of a non-fiction book or a young adults book. Some of the characters are also not well developed

All in all this is a good book that deserves to be read. It has a deserving title and has some great real life content which may be of help to many young adults me included. The book is professionally edited which is commendable and the flow is good. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars due to the above mentioned points. If the book is added some action in it I would give it a perfect 4 stars

Searching For Paradise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Job Njoroge's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”