Review by Cotwani -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Review by Cotwani -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Connie Otwani »

sharkyjen998 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 07:15 I'm putting this one on my "want to read shelf." It seems like you and I like the same type of books, so I'm hoping that I enjoy this one! I love suspenseful crime novels, and I also tend to read right past most errors without noticing them. Overall, I think I'll like this one. Thank you so much for your comments!
Thank you for taking time to read and comment. Hope you will like the book.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I feel for Denise. It's tough enough starting a new job. She has to prove to her co-workers that she's worthy of their respect. I love thrillers. This sounds like a good book. Thank you.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 09:45 I feel for Denise. It's tough enough starting a new job. She has to prove to her co-workers that she's worthy of their respect. I love thrillers. This sounds like a good book. Thank you.
Denise took it all in stride! The book was interesting. Thanks for reading and giving feedback!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A very detailed and insightful review! Yes, Denise seemed too prickly at times, I also felt that her behaviour was a bit naive, but considering the humiliation she had to face it was probably expected.
I liked what you wrote about Sheehan's 'AHA' moment! But for us, that moment came much earlier, wouldn't you say!
Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 04:09 A very detailed and insightful review! Yes, Denise seemed too prickly at times, I also felt that her behaviour was a bit naive, but considering the humiliation she had to face it was probably expected.
I liked what you wrote about Sheehan's 'AHA' moment! But for us, that moment came much earlier, wouldn't you say!
Thanks for the review!
You are right - Brian O'hare should definitely recognize us for being a step ahead of his top detective! I agree with you about Denise too.
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment
-Walt Disney
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Denise sounds like she has quite a lot to learn about teamwork. I love murder mysteries and the fact that Denise is the lead detective makes me feel like it's worth a read.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I agree with you that the plot is fairly decent - I also solved the mystery before the big reveal (but only just!). But there were sufficient twists and turns to make this a good page turner. Great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Oulababe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 12:47 Denise sounds like she has quite a lot to learn about teamwork. I love murder mysteries and the fact that Denise is the lead detective makes me feel like it's worth a read.
It's worth reading. Denise develops superbly through the book. Thanks for reading and giving constructive feedback!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Julie Green wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 13:34 I agree with you that the plot is fairly decent - I also solved the mystery before the big reveal (but only just!). But there were sufficient twists and turns to make this a good page turner. Great review!
Thanks Julie for taking time to read and giving feedback. The book was enjoyable.
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Again, a great review! :tiphat: No surprise there though. I never buy books- I'm always at the library etc, but when (not if!) you write one of your own I will personally buy your book! (unless it is hundreds of dollars as I do have a daughter in college).

Sounds like an action-packed story with a complicated life for the main character. I like fast paced that I can't guess the culprit. Think I'll put this in my maybe list..
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, I already have my first client - even without a book! I will definitely look you up when I reach that milestone!

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate you fernsmom!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could always avoid horrific segments by covering my eyes, turning off the volume, or going somewhere else altogether if such would just be on the TV or in the movies. Reading the words and not grasping the images and sounds, though, is a different story, so I think I have to skip this piece. Paradoxical it may seem, but military cadet training and my subsequent past naval career didn't totally wipe out my aversion. But, I never owned nor actually used any type of armament on anyone before, though, so it's not what people would usually think. Nonetheless, thank you for your candid review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Denise has some struggles being a woman detective and trying to balance her personal life with her work. The book sounds interesting when Denise, Jim, and the team all work together to catch the elusive murderer.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Nice thorough review. I also like how you pose questions. It makes it feel that you were really engaged in the story. Thank you!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 05:00 I could always avoid horrific segments by covering my eyes, turning off the volume, or going somewhere else altogether if such would just be on the TV or in the movies. Reading the words and not grasping the images and sounds, though, is a different story, so I think I have to skip this piece. Paradoxical it may seem, but military cadet training and my subsequent past naval career didn't totally wipe out my aversion. But, I never owned nor actually used any type of armament on anyone before, though, so it's not what people would usually think. Nonetheless, thank you for your candid review.
Lol! Neither military nor army could corrupt your non-violent nature! I'm told the tough training hardens all fluff! I guess it was no walk in the park for you having to interact with either victims of violence or hardened colleagues.

The book has a bit of blood shed. I found some killings unnecessary.

I appreciate your stopping by and sharing your thoughts .
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”