Review by Cotwani -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Review by Cotwani -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Connie Otwani »

LV2R wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 22:14 Denise has some struggles being a woman detective and trying to balance her personal life with her work. The book sounds interesting when Denise, Jim, and the team all work together to catch the elusive murderer.
The book is indeed exciting, and Denise takes many things in stride.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 04:58
Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 05:00 I could always avoid horrific segments by covering my eyes, turning off the volume, or going somewhere else altogether if such would just be on the TV or in the movies. Reading the words and not grasping the images and sounds, though, is a different story, so I think I have to skip this piece. Paradoxical it may seem, but military cadet training and my subsequent past naval career didn't totally wipe out my aversion. But, I never owned nor actually used any type of armament on anyone before, though, so it's not what people would usually think. Nonetheless, thank you for your candid review.
Lol! Neither military nor army could corrupt your non-violent nature! I'm told the tough training hardens all fluff! I guess it was no walk in the park for you having to interact with either victims of violence or hardened colleagues.

The book has a bit of blood shed. I found some killings unnecessary.

I appreciate your stopping by and sharing your thoughts .
I wouldn't say I don't get angry, especially if there's a reason for me to be so. I'm as human and flawed as the rest of us are. It is but a necessity, though, that those who are entrusted with the responsibility of carrying or wielding a weapon are aware of what such meant and capable of utmost discretion. I've met the most admirable people while I was still in the service, and it was an honour to have been part of the service. Married life, motherhood, and special circumstances changed my priorities, though.

Imagine a day when there's no longer any need for such unnatural loss of lives. :music-listening: "You may say I am a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." :music-listening:
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 05:00
I wouldn't say I don't get angry, especially if there's a reason for me to be so. I'm as human and flawed as the rest of us are. It is but a necessity, though, that those who are entrusted with the responsibility of carrying or wielding a weapon are aware of what such meant and capable of utmost discretion. I've met the most admirable people while I was still in the service, and it was an honour to have been part of the service. Married life, motherhood, and special circumstances changed my priorities, though.

Imagine a day when there's no longer any need for such unnatural loss of lives. :music-listening: "You may say I am a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." :music-listening:
[/quote]
Damn right - you are not alone! I'm in the dreamer category too. I think almost everyone is. Probably even the terrorist thinks he will live in peace after he gets rid of his enemies! Thanks for your comments.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I guess being a woman in a male-dominated profession, Denise had to overcome many hurdles. It seems like the book has a good mystery to solve.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 06:52
Espie wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 05:00

Damn right - you are not alone! I'm in the dreamer category too. I think almost everyone is. Probably even the terrorist thinks he will live in peace after he gets rid of his enemies! Thanks for your comments.
[/quote]

It's good to have another dreamer here and to confirm that there are heaps of others, too. :tiphat:

I haven't personally met nor knew someone within the usual definition of that other term you've mentioned, though; I hope I never would. But, what if we don't treat anyone as an enemy? What if we'd all remember that we are all brothers and sisters here on earth in one way or another instead? What if we'd focus on what would make us understand and live amicably with each other (instead of succumbing to the drastic option)? What if we "agree to disagree" :agree-to-disagree: if we have to and just make sure we take off the "black hat" when the required session is already over? I know those may be scoffed at as mere kindergarten solutions. But, if they could solve things, why not? :lire4:
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kajori50 wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 07:15 I guess being a woman in a male-dominated profession, Denise had to overcome many hurdles. It seems like the book has a good mystery to solve.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Yes, the book was an exciting read. Thanks for stopping by!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”