Review by Star88 -- Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Star88 -- Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's ...

Post by Star88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks A Physician’s Advice by Morton E. Travel, MD is a non-fiction book dedicated to debunking “snake-oil,” or false myths and misconceptions in health. The book covers several different aspects of health, including nutrition, exercise, treatments, and other controversial topics. If you want to know what the best way to diet is, this book is for you. If you want to know really how much effective your medicine is, this book is for you. If you want to know which health products do what they advertise, this book is for you.

As reflected by the title, the book is divided into three sections—tips, myths, and tricks. In the tips section, Dr. Travel gives nutritional advice on not only everyday foods, but also on controversial foods, such as red wine and artificial sweeteners. The myths sections provides insight on common beliefs, such as conspiracy theories, genetically modified foods, and bottled water safety. Lastly, the tricks section identifies recent health scams and how to avoid them.

There were two main things that I appreciated about this book. The first thing is the book’s organization. As I previously mentioned, the book is divided into three sections. Each of these sections are further divided into chapters that each cover a specific subtopic. The subtopics are organized further by specific headlines. At the end of each chapter, the main points are highlighted. Thus, if you are looking for specific information and do not want to read the whole book to find that piece of information, you could easily do so. Dr. Travel even states, “after the scanning the chapter titles, the reader may wish to concentrate on those of special interest.” The book is designed to be helpful to an “eclectic audience.”

The second thing I appreciated about this book is its factual basis. Dr. Travel is well known throughout his field for his work. Unlike some dieting, exercise, and other self-help articles, this book can be depended upon as having the correct information. In addition, the book ends by listing all the references used to gather the facts. These references can be used if someone wished to obtain further information on a certain topic. Sometimes, specific, well-known scientific studies were discussed in detail to defend certain facts. The only downside to this is that this may turn off some readers who find scientific terminology challenging. Dr. Travel did his best to write the book in a casual style that could be understood by the general public, but there were occasionally some words that would be easier to understand with a scientific background.

For these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was well-written and contained minimal grammar and syntax errors. The book can be used as a reliable self-help book for someone who is looking to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Star88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

thanks you for this review to provide insight what this book is all about. your rating of 4 indicates this book has lot of health tips as take away
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Thank you for your comment! Yes, this book had a lot of health tips that surprised me. He addressed many issues that I hadn't even thought about.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”